Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1997 chevrolet c1500 vortec 350. I had an oil leak under my

1997 chevrolet c1500 vortec 350. I had an oil leak under my distributor and found out it was the gasket. I changed the gasket and now my truck will not start. It was running great just a few minutes before. what is the problem?

Did you matchmark the distributor before you took it out, so that you put it back in exactly how it was?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

hello and yes i did mark the rotor to the distributor and the distributor to the intake.

Have you pulled a plug wire to check for fire, if so, is there? Did you remove the plug wires from the distributor cap when doing the job?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

yes i removed spark plug wires 1,3,5,&7 to get the cap out of the way. and going back together i made certain they were seated fully.

Ok, it sounds like you know what you are doing, but I want to check a couple of basics:

firing order:

graphic

Next, you need to check to make sure that the wiring harness and connector to the CMP(cam position) sensor wasnt damaged- check for frayed or broke wiring, check for loose wires at connector.

If ok, check the cmp sensor itself:

1. Disconnect the CMP sensor wiring harness and connect an LED test light between CMP harness terminal C and battery ground.
  2. With the ignition ON and the engine off, verify that the test light illuminates.
  3. If not as specified, repair or replace the fuse and/or wiring.
  4. Carefully connect the test light between CMP harness terminal A and C and verify that the test light illuminates.
  5. If not as specified, repair the CMP harness ground circuit (terminal A).
  6. Turn the ignition OFF and disconnect the test light.
  7. Next, connect suitable jumper wires between the CMP sensor and CMP sensor harness. Connect a DC volt meter to the jumper wire corresponding to CMP terminal B and battery ground.
  8. Start the engine and verify that the voltage signal is 5-7 volts.
  9. If it is not as specified, the CMP sensor may be faulty.

graphic

graphic

If ok, I would recommend removing the distributor and re-installing, using the following method to ensure its correct:

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
could the sensor go out just like that? everything was smooth and simple no real problems other than stuff in my way.

I have seen them go out many, many times just from removing the distributor or from changing cap and rotor. They can be delicate at times, and setting the distributor down hard from shock. it doesnt take much.