Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Seventeen years of automotive experience with the past thirteen in General Motors dealerships.

How much does my 1987 Chevrolet R10 Custom Deluxe Short Bed

Customer Question

How much does my 1987 Chevrolet R10 Custom Deluxe Short Bed Truck weigh? It has the 4.3 Liter/V6 Engine. My mechanic always used the phrase 1/2 ton when he called for parts, although I know it's over a ton which is 2200lbs. I found out that the vehicle capacity is a 1/2 ton, but I don't know the exact overall truck weight?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer my name is Mike,

There are no specifications given out on what the unloaded weight of a vehicle is to my knowledge. The only way I know how to find out is by getting it weighed.

When we call a truck a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton it is a reference to the amount of weight that can be loaded in the bed. A half ton truck can carry an evenly distributed weight of 1000 lbs in the bed assuming everything is in working order.

There is a rough way to calculate the dry weight of a truck but it isn't accurate. There should be a label on the driver door jamb that includes the GVWR, GAWR FRONT and GAWR REAR. GVWR stands for gross vehicle weight rating and GAWR stands for gross axle weight rating. GVWR is the total amount that the vehicle can weigh fully loaded. GAWR is the amount of weight that the front or rear suspension can handle.

So now that we know all that, if the label is in tact on the driver door, you can do a little math to figure out the estimated vehicle weight unloaded. I have a truck here that is a 3/4 ton with a GVWR of 9,200lbs.
9,200-1,500=7,700 so this truck should be about 7,700lbs unloaded. Take your GVWR and subtract 1,000 and you will have your rough weight. To know an accurate weight you would need to have the vehicle weighed.

If you have more questions please ask. If I have helped you satisfactorily please click the accept button and give feed back.