Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Easiest way to change a heater coil on a 2000 chevy camaro

What is the easiest way to change a heater coil on a 2000 chevy camaro
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here are directions- it is actually a fairly easy repair:

1. With the ignition key removed, disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disable the SIR system by removing or disconnecting the following:
    • SIR fuse from the fuse panel
    • Left side sound insulator
    • Connector Positive Assurance (CPA) from the yellow 2-way SIR harness connector at the base of the steering column and separate the connector
    • Squeeze the sides of the glove box and release it to access the heater core assembly
  3. Drain the cooling system.
  4. Remove or disconnect the following: NOTE Do not apply excessive pressure on the tubes or the heater core will be damaged.
    • 2 heater module cover retaining screws and remove the cover
    • Clamp at the left side of the heater core
    • Clamp from the heater core tubes on the engine compartment side. Carefully, remove the heater hoses from the core tubes. Plug the hoses to prevent leakage
    • Pull heater core toward the rear of the vehicle to remove it Click image to see an enlarged viewHeater hose and pipe routing-Camaro/Firebird with the 3.4L engine Click image to see an enlarged viewHeater hose and pipe routing-Camaro/Firebird with the 3.8L engine Click image to see an enlarged viewHeater hose and pipe routing-Camaro/Firebird with the 5.7L engine Click image to see an enlarged viewExploded view of the heater core removed from the heater module assembly-Camaro/Firebird

To install:

1. Install or connect the following: NOTE Lubricate the heater tubes with petroleum jelly for best sealing. Be sure the seals around the heater pipes remain in place.
    • Position the heater core into place and then attach the heater hoses to the heater core tubes. Install the hose clamp
    • Heater core clamp, then install the heater core module cover
  2. Properly, refill the cooling system, then operate the system and check for leaks.
  3. If equipped, enable the SIR system by installing connecting the following:
    • Yellow 2-way SIR connector and insert the Connector Positive Assurance (CPA) at the base of the steering column
    • Left side sound insulator
    • SIR fuse in the fuse panel
    • Negative battery cable
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pics did not come out..................... I am really not sure what you are talking about...... can you get it out just taking the glove box out?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Yes, remove the glove box and the sound insulator(trim panel) below it(if equipped) and then you can access the heater core.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.