GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2005 gmc: you adjust the emergency brake..ton..wheel drive diesel

Customer Question

can you adjust the emergency brake on a 2005 gmc 3/4 tonXXXXXdiesel pickup? and if so, how?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.
Welcome Steve. There is an adjustment for the rear park brake shoes. In the thick bracket there is a rubber plug. It is on the bottom of the drivers side and on top of the axle on the passenger side. Inside there is a star wheel that you can adjust. There is a spring that sits on the other edge to keep the wheel from turning on its own. A 90 deg adjuster works the best I have found for the passenger side, and a regular blade screw drivers works well on the drivers side. I recommend you do the drivers side first. I lift the back end, and tighten the adjuster till there is tension on the wheel and the just start to back it off. Repeat on the passenger side.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I found the plug. At this point do you have to lift the rear end to find something to adjust? I do not seen anything to adjust with a screwdriver.

The star wheel is in there, towards the back of the hole. In the picture below, number 4 points to the area near the wheel.

Object Number: 370046  Size: SH