Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

I have a 2004 Chevy Classic (Malibu). It will not turn over.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Chevy Classic (Malibu). It will not turn over. Battery is new and upon last work, starter was good. If I try starting with the e-brake on or from nuetral, it will kick over but not hold. Will not kick over from park. Someone mentioned 'Transmission Selector'. Could this be right? What could it be? What may be a cheap fix?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.

Your friend is talking about the nuetral safety switch on the transmission which also works the back up lamps. It is possible for this switch to go bad or to be loose on it mountings, in which case it may not work in park and you may need to move the shift lever around while holding the key in the start position to make the starter work. I would rather you started your testing at the starter, just as a precaution. If you use a 12 volt test light or a volt meter and check the purple wire on the starter solenoid. If you turn the key to the crank position and you have voltage to both this wire and the battery terminal on the solenoid, then the starter is bad. If you do not have voltage to the small purple wire on the solenoid, then we need to check the nuetral safety switch on the top of the transmission where the shift cable is connected. You will be looking for either 2 purple wires, one from the ignition switch to the nuetral switch and one from the nuetral switch to the starter or the one coming into the nuetral switch from the ignition switch may be yellow instead. Let me know what you find and we will go from there. Picture of the nuetral switch below. Note, it does require a special tool to align the nuetral switch, Chevy dealer only, as far as I know. Thanks

Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement

Tools Required

J 41545 Park/Neutral Switch Aligner

Removal Procedure
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Apply the parking brake and place the control assembly in Neutral. The transaxle manual shaft must be in the Neutral position prior to installing the range switch.
  2. Remove the shift control cable from the transaxle range switch lever.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the transaxle range switch.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Remove the transaxle range switch lever nut and lever.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

5. Remove the transaxle range switch bolts and remove the switch.

Installation Procedure (Old Switch)
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Make sure the transaxle manual shaft is in the Neutral position.
  2. Align the flats on the transaxle shift shaft with the flats on the transaxle range switch and install the switch.
  3. Loosely install the transaxle range switch bolts.
    Object Number: 893833  Size: SH

4. Insert the J 41545 as shown and rotate the switch until the tool drops onto position.

5. Tighten the transaxle range switch bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the range switch bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

6. Remove the alignment tool.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

7. Install the transaxle range switch lever and nut

Tighten
    Tighten the transaxle range switch lever retaining nut to 35 N·m (26 lb ft).

Important: After adjusting the switch, verify the engine only starts in Park or Neutral. If the engine starts in any other position, adjust the switch.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

8. Connect the transaxle range switch electrical connectors.
  9. Install the shift control cable to transaxle range switch lever and verify proper operation.
  10. Install the shift control cable to transaxle range switch lever and verify proper operation.

Installation Procedure (New Switch)
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Tighten the transaxle range switch bolts.

Tighten

4. Install the transaxle range switch lever and nut.

Tighten

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

5. Install the shift control cable to transaxle range switch lever and verify proper operation.

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank You for your time, sir. This will obviously (with the lack of specialty tools) be a task for a mechanic or dealer shop. We will try and use this information as best we can to address the problem ourselves, but realize this is a fix for the experts (such as yourself).

Thanks again,

Kevin and Melody.

Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
You are most welcome. But, if you can, test the starter yourself before spending money some place else. It just may end up not being that switch. But, if you test it first, then you will know for sure what your up against before spending your money. Then if they tell you the same thing as your test shows, you know you are dealing with an honest shop. Really appreciate the accept, if you need anything else, just drop us a note.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We will find a way to do that. We'd rather do as much as possible.. well, as cheap as possible. But, we'll do what is necessary to get the car up and running. We'll see what's possible tomorrow.

I'll definately keep you in mind should we have anymore questions. Again, Thanks to you and JA.

Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
If you have any more questions related to this one, just drop me a note as I have no problem including follow ups. If you need me and somehow this question gets closed, just put my name in the subject line of any new post you need to make and the system will notify me the next time I sign on. Thanks