Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

How do I remove the oil filter from a 2001 chevy cavalier

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.

Instructions below from the GM service manual. On the 2001 the filter is located on the rear side of the motor sort of behind the right front wheel. You will need the correct size oil filter wrench to remove the filter with. Thanks

Engine Oil and Oil Filter Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and suitable support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the oil pan drain bolt.
    Object Number: 189001  Size: SH

3. Remove the oil filter.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 189001  Size: SH

1. Install the oil filter.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the oil pan drain bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the oil pan drain bolt to 26 N·m (19 lb ft).

3. Lower the vehicle.
  4. Fill the engine with oil to the appropriate mark.
  5. Start engine and inspect for leaks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>I cannot see the pictures, and do not have access to the GM service manual. I need the actual procedure for removal of the filter. I can't see how to remove it and from where</p>
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, I have no clue why the picture is not posting. It must be a problem with the web site. If you have the car up in the air, the filter is on the passenger side on the back side of the motor. They are pretty hard to get to because of where they are mounted. You need to reach in behind the passenger side front tire and out your hand in the large opening in the frame where the right front tie rod is to reach the filter to take it loose and remove it. I am posting the complete operation for you below, from beginning to end. Thanks

OIL LEVEL CHECK

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Turn the oil fill cap and remove it, the dipstick is attached to the cap-2.2L engine only Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Wipe the dipstick off with a rag, reinsert the dipstick and check the level on the dipstick Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: The oil level is in the safe range when the level is in the crosshatched area of the dipstick Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Use a funnel to avoid spillage and add the oil into the filler/dipstick tube CAUTION The EPA warns that prolonged contact with used engine oil may cause a number of skin disorders, including cancer! You should make every effort to minimize your exposure to used engine oil. Protective gloves should be worn when changing the oil. Wash your hands and any other exposed skin areas as soon as possible after exposure to used engine oil. Soap and water, or waterless hand cleaner should be used.

The engine oil dipstick is also the fill cap on the 2.2L engine and is located in front of the engine between the engine and the radiator.

The engine oil dipstick on the 2.3L and 2.4L engines is located in the rear of the engine between the engine and the firewall.

Engine oil level should be checked every time you put fuel in the vehicle or are under the hood performing other maintenance.

1. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
  2. The engine may be either hot or cold when checking oil level. However, if it is hot, wait a few minutes after the engine has been turned OFF to allow the oil to drain back into the crankcase. If the engine is cold, do not start it before checking the oil level.
  3. Open the hood and locate the engine oil dipstick. Pull the dipstick from its tube, wipe it clean, and reinsert it into the tube. Make sure the dipstick is fully inserted.
  4. Pull the dipstick from its tube again. Holding it horizontally, read the oil level. The oil should be between the MIN and MAX mark. If the oil is below the MIN mark, add oil of the proper viscosity through the oil fill hole.
  5. Replace the dipstick, and check the level again after adding any oil. Be careful not to overfill the crankcase. Approximately one quart of oil will raise the level from the low mark to the high mark. Excess oil will generally be consumed at an accelerated rate even if no damage to the engine seals occurs.
OIL & FILTER CHANGE

See Figures 5 through 12

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: Use a wrench to loosen the drain plug located on the oil pan, typically the drain plug requires a 13mm wrench Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: When the drain plug is almost all the way loose, apply inward pressure to the plug and then remove it in a swift motion ... Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: ... allowing the oil to flow out into a suitable container Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: Inspect the threads on the drain plug and also the gasket and replace as necessary Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: Wipe the oil pan clean after the oil has completely drained out and inspect the threads for the drain plug Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 10: The oil filter is located on the side of the block, in the rear of the engine compartment and is accessible from beneath the vehicle-2.2L engine Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 11: A cup style filter wrench is best suited to loosen the filter, break the filter loose, continue turning it by hand until it is free and ... Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 12: ... remove the filter from the engine

The oil and filter should be changed every 7,500 miles (12,500 km) under normal service and every 3,000 miles (5,000 km) under severe service.

CAUTION The EPA warns that prolonged contact with used engine oil may cause a number of skin disorders, including cancer! You should make every effort to minimize your exposure to used engine oil. Protective gloves would be worn when changing the oil. Wash your hands and any other exposed skin areas as soon as possible after exposure to used engine oil. Soap and water, or waterless hand cleaner should be used.

The engine oil and oil filter should be changed at the recommended intervals on the Maintenance Chart. Though some manufacturer's have at times recommended changing the filter only at every other oil change, It is recommended that you always change the filter with the oil. The benefit of fresh oil is quickly lost if the old filter is clogged and unable to do its job. Also, leaving the old filter in place leaves a significant amount of dirty oil in the system.

The oil should be changed more frequently if the vehicle is being operated in a very dusty area. Before draining the oil, make sure that the engine is at operating temperature. Hot oil will hold more impurities in suspension and will flow better, allowing the removal of more oil and dirt.

It is a good idea to warm the engine oil first so it will flow better. This can be accomplished by 15-20 (24-32 km) miles of highway driving. Fluid which is warmed to normal operating temperature will flow faster, drain more completely and remove more contaminants from the engine.

1. Raise and support the vehicle safely on jackstands. Make sure the oil drain plug is at the lowest point on the oil pan. If not, you may have to raise the vehicle slightly higher on one jackstand (side) than the other.
  2. Before you crawl under the vehicle, take a look at where you will be working and gather all the necessary tools, such as a few wrenches or a ratchet and strip of sockets, the drain pan, some clean rage and, if the oil filter is more accessible from underneath the vehicle, you will also want to grab a bottle of oil, the new filter and a filter wrench at this time.
  3. Position the drain pan beneath the oil pan drain plug. Keep in mind that the fast flowing oil, which will spill out as you pull the plug from the pan, will flow with enough force that it could miss the pan. Position the drain pan accordingly and be ready to move the pan more directly beneath the plug as the oil flow lessens to a trickle.
  4. Loosen the drain plug with a wrench (or socket and driver), then carefully unscrew the plug with your fingers. Use a rag to shield your fingers from the heat. Push in on the plug as you unscrew it so you can feel when all of the screw threads are out of the hole (and so you will keep the oil from seeping past the threads until you are ready to remove the plug). You can then remove the plug quickly to avoid having hot oil run down your arm. This will also help assure that have the plug in your hand, not in the bottom of a pan of hot oil.
CAUTION Be careful of the oil; when at operating temperature, it is hot enough to cause a severe burn.
  1. Allow the oil to drain until nothing but a few drops come out of the drain hole. Check the drain plug to make sure the threads and sealing surface are not damaged. Carefully thread the plug into position and tighten it with a torque wrench to 35 ft. lbs. (45 Nm) on the 2.2L Engine and 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm) on the 2.3/2.4L engines. If a torque wrench is not available, snug the drain plug and give a slight additional turn. You don't want the plug to fall out (as you would quickly become stranded), but the pan threads are EASILY stripped from overtighening (and this can be time consuming and/or costly to fix).
  2. To remove the filter, you may need an oil filter wrench since the filter may have been fitted too tightly and/or the heat from the engine may have made it even tighter. A filter wrench can be obtained at any auto parts store and is well-worth the investment. Loosen the filter with the filter wrench. With a rag wrapped around the filter, unscrew the filter from the bose on the side of the engine. Be careful of hot oil that will run down the side of the filter. Make sure that your drain pan is under the filter before you start to remove it from the engine; should some of the hot oil happen to get on you, there will be a place to dump the filter in a hurry and the filter will usually spill a good bit of dirty oil as it is removed.
  3. Wipe the base of the mounting bose with a clean, dry cloth. When you install the new filter, smear a small amount of fresh oil on the gasket with your finger, just enough to coat the entire contact surface. When you tighten the filter, rotate it about a quarter-turn after it contacts the mounting bose (or follow any instructions which are provided on the filter or parte box).
WARNING Operating the engine without the proper amount and type of engine oil will result in severe engine damage.
  1. Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle, then IMMEDIATELY refill the engine crankcase with the proper amount of oil. DO NOT WAIT TO DO THIS because if you forget and someone tries to start the vehicle, severe engine damage will occur.
  2. Refill the engine crankcase slowly, checking the level often. You may notice that it usually takes less than the amount of oil listed in the capacity chart to refill the crankcase. But, that is only until the engine is run and the oil filter is filled with oil. To make sure the proper level is obtained, run the engine to normal operating temperature, shut the engine OFF, allow the oil to drain back into the oil pan, and recheck the level. Top off the oil at this time to the fill mark.

If the vehicle is not resting on level ground, the oil level reading on the dipstick may be slightly off. Be sure to check the level only when the vehicle is sitting level.

1. Drain your used oil in a suitable container for recycling.

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)