ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic

I have a 2007 chevy impala lt with rear defrost not working.

I have a 2007 chevy impala lt with rear defrost not working. Instrument panel light comes on when I push it. I have a 2008 impala also, so I swapped the rear defrost relay in the underhood fuse block and it doesn't fix problem. Rear window wire connections on either side of window are making good contact.
I would start by checking the Batt3 (40amp) fuse in the under hood fuse box, it is near the passenger side strut tower.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That fuse is good.
Can you tell me if it has power to it? (with the defoggers on)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It has 13.45 volts when the defogger is on. 0 volts when its off.
Is there also power at the rear defogger grid?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no power at grid.
Then the problem is a broken wire between the fuse location and the grid (there is no other components between the two) the wire will need to be followed until the break is found. The wire is purple out of the fuse box, I would start there and be sure it has power right under the fuse box and follow it from there (they usually run these wires under the cover where the door shuts once inside the vehicle)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the help. I thought there might be another fuse it goes through. It doesn't mention Battery 3 being related to rear defrost in the manual. I'll look for the broken wire.
Thank you and Good luck with your repair
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was the connector at the rear window.
Great I am glad you found it!