Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

1980 chevy p/u change ignition tumbler

Customer Question

1980 chevy p/u change ignition tumbler
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Not unusual for the nut to be tight. They are really torqued on. But, once you get the nut off and use a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel, you will need to remove the lock plate to get to the turn signal switch. The screws that hold the turn signal switch in the housing, if you unplug the turn signal harness from the bottom of the column, you can just pull the harness up and let the switch hang over the side of the column, no need to remove it completely. Then there is a small brass switch in a white plastic housing that pulls out, this is the buzzer switch for when the key is left in the ignition. There is a small spring that holds it in place when you pull it out. Don't drop the spring or it will go down inside the housing. Then there is one retainer screw that holds the ignition lock cylinder in place. Turn the key to the run position after removing the retainer screw and the cylinder just pulls out. Thanks

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Removing the lockplate retaining ring Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Ignition lock cylinder removal and installation Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Ignition switch assembly showing switch in LOCK position

1. Remove the steering wheel.
  2. Remove the turn signal switch. It is not necessary to completely remove the switch from the column. Pull the switch rearward far enough to slip it over the end of the shaft, but do not pull the harness out of the column.
  3. Turn the ignition lock to Run.
  4. Remove the lock retaining screw and remove the lock cylinder.
WARNING If the retaining screw is dropped on removal, it may fall into the column, requiring complete disassembly of the column to retrieve the screw.
  1. To install, rotate the key to the stop while holding onto the cylinder.
  2. Push the lock all the way in.
  3. Install the screw. Tighten the screw to 3 ft. lbs. for regular columns, 2 ft. lbs. for adjustable columns.
  4. Install the turn signal switch and the steering wheel.