Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified

How do I change the alternator on a 2000 Chevy Venture

Customer Question

How do I change the alternator on a 2000 Chevy Venture?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Rotating the Engine for Service Access

Tools Required

J 41131 Engine Tilt Strap

1. Remove the throttle body air inlet duct. Refer to Air Filter Element Replacement in Engine Controls - 3.4L.
  2. Set the park brake.
  3. Shift the transaxle into Neutral.
  4. Remove the engine mount strut bolts. Swing the engine mount struts aside. Refer to Engine Mount Strut Replacement and Engine Mount Strut Replacement .
    Object Number: 401357  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  5. Install the J 41131 .
  6. Pull on the engine in order to rotate the engine forward.
  7. Tighten the J 41131 .
  8. Drive Belt Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 368807  Size: SH
    1. Rotate the drive belt tensioner in order to release the tension on the drive belt.
    2. Remove the drive belt.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 368807  Size: SH
    1. Install the drive belt to all of the pulleys except the generator pulley.
    2. Rotate the drive belt tensioner in order to install the drive belt over the generator pulley.
      Object Number: 368806  Size: SH

Important: Ensure that the drive belt is aligned into the proper grooves of the accessory drive belt pulleys.

3. Ensure that the drive belt is properly routed.
    4. Generator Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the battery ground (negative) cable from the battery. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
      2. Remove the windshield wiper system module cover. Refer to Wiper Module Cover Replacement in Wipers Washer System.
      3. Rotate and secure the engine forward. Refer to Rotating the Engine for Service Access in Engine Mechanical - 3.4L.
        Object Number: 368797  Size: SH
      4. Remove the generator B+ terminal nut.
      5. Remove the generator B+ lead.
      6. Remove the generator electrical connector.
      7. Remove the drive belt from the generator. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 3.4L.
        Object Number: 368802  Size: SH
      8. Remove the generator front bolt.
        Object Number: 368803  Size: SH
      9. Remove the generator rear bolts.
        Object Number: 368801  Size: SH
      10. Remove the generator from the generator bracket and position the generator above the drive axle.
      11. Remove the drive belt tensioner. Refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 3.4L.
      12. Remove the generator bracket. Refer to Generator Bracket Replacement .
      13. Remove the power steering pipes from the power steering pipe retainer.
      14. Remove the fuel pressure test port (schrader valve) cap from the fuel injector rail.

Important: Do not disconnect the power steering pipes from the power steering pump.

15. Remove the power steering pump and reposition the power steering pump in front of the timing chain cover in order to provide access for the generator. Refer to Power Steering Pump Replacement in Power Steering System.
      16. Remove the generator from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the generator to the vehicle and position the generator above the drive axle.
      2. Install the power steering pump to the engine. Refer to Power Steering Pump Replacement in Power Steering System.
      3. Install the fuel pressure test port (schrader valve) cap to the fuel injector rail.
      4. Install the power steering pipes from the power steering pipe retainer.
      5. Install the generator bracket. Refer to Generator Bracket Replacement .
      6. Install the drive belt tensioner. Refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 3.4L.
        Object Number: 368801  Size: SH
      7. Install the generator to the generator bracket and position the generator above the drive axle.
      8. Install the drive belt tensioner. Refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 3.4L.
        Object Number: 368801  Size: SH
      9. Install the generator to the generator bracket.
        Object Number: 368802  Size: SH
      10. Install the generator front bolt.
        Object Number: 368803  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

11. Install the generator rear bolts.

Tighten
        Tighten the generator bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

12. Install the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 3.4L.
        Object Number: 368797  Size: SH
      13. Install the generator electrical connector.
      14. Install the generator B+ lead.
      15. Install the generator B+ terminal nut.

Tighten
        Tighten the generator B+ terminal nut to 13 N·m (115 lb in).

16. Rotate the engine rearward and install the engine mount strut bracket bolts. Refer to Rotating the Engine for Service Access in Engine Mechanical - 3.4L.
      17. Install the windshield wiper system module cover. Refer to Wiper Module Cover Replacement in Wipers Washer System.
      18. Install the battery ground (negative) cable to the battery. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will need to look at the engine in the morning to see if this answer helps. Will you be online in 14 hours? This help is actually for my husband who will be working on the van tomorrow after he gets back from work. He is in bed already and can't take a look at your response, but if it is okay, I'd like to wait for him to accept your help or not. I think it is pretty clear, but I'd rather wait for him to respond to you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We replaced the alternator, with much budging, but my husband got everything back together and the car still did not start. He jump started it and it worked. Decided to replace the battery as well, and car finally started. Not sure if we needed to change the alternator, maybe only needed a new battery. The old battery was 3 years old. Either way, we have a new alternator and a new battery now. How can I be sure the new alternator is working, and not just starting because we have a new battery? I want to make sure there isn't some other wiring problem.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Glad to hear the van is running. You can use a volt meter and go across the battery with the engine at 1000 RPM. It should read 13.5 to 14.5 volts.