my security light came on in my 2004 chevy venture & now my

Customer Question

my security light came on in my 2004 chevy venture & now my van wont start what do i do
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.

This type of failure requires a scan tool that can read body failure codes to accurately diagnose. This tool will allow for you to access the theft system to verify what the exact fault within the theft system has been found. There is a simple relearn that can sometimes fix this problem. Here is what you need to do to relearn the theft system. Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!

1. With a key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
  3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. With a master passkey III key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.

If the security indicator does not go off after the ten minute period, you have more of a problem than the relearn will repair. This would require the above mentioned tool to diagnose. Good luck!