Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

2000 Bravada: with AWD light keeps coming on after blowing fuse

2000 Bravada with AWD light keeps coming on after blowing fuse on control box?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
What fuse is blowing to be exact?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
fuse that controls controls the all wheel drive system
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.

This fuse should be labeled ATC in the underhood electrical center. This has been a common problem with these. Normally this is caused by a faulty transfer case encoder motor. You may want to try replacing the fuse and unplugging the motor to see if you get the fuse to blow once again. If it does, this would be likely caused by a faulty transfer case control module, or a wiring issue from fuse to the transfer case control module, or a wiring issue from the transfer case control module to the transfer case control motor. Here is a schematic of the wiring for this system. Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!

Object Number: 541060  Size: FS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will call the place on Friday and probably run it in Monday. If the encoder is bad, what damage could it cause by not working? Or is it ok to drive on dry roads on short runs until it gets fixed?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
The motor itself controls how much drive is directed towards the front wheels. If you note a binding sensation while driving on dry pavement I would address this problem asap. Otherwise you should not have any damage being done.