RICK
RICK, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 YEARS GM DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE, JUST A FEW TESTS BEFORE GM WORLD CLASS STATUS
13057657

2000 Chevy: stalling..the service engine soon light that shows

I have a 2000 Chevy 3500 HD 6.5 diesel (stalling out at random times) that my mechanic just diagnosed with the codes from the service engine soon light that shows a bad fuel injection pump. The mechanic said to take it to a Chevy dealer and check if the warranty on the pump might be extended due to a problem they had with it and also when I bought the truck last year I remember the dealer saying the pump is covered if there is a problem. Is this true? Last year I replaced the FSD (black box) and that solved the problem, but after the mechanic went through some other testing ruled it out this time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RICK replied 8 years ago.
Hi Customer,
your mechanic is correct gm has special policy on this pump # XXXXX this is policy number for 11 years or 120,000 miles whichever occurs first, even if over miles will review on case by case basis and may still cover, hope i have been of assistance...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
One more thing, Last year when my truck was stalling out the first thing I did was take it to a Chevy dealership. The manager said he diagnosed my truck as having a dirty gas tank which needed to be replaced (wasn't dirty after checking out at home) also neede anew injector pump, and I forget what else but his estimate to repair my truck was about $4500 so I asked a diesel mechanic friend what to do and he said get it out of there. Thats when we figured out it was the FSD (black box) and cost me about $350 to repair. But when I took the truck out of the dealership I'm pretty sure that the Chevy mechanic wrote in the Estimate for repair that I was taking the truck out without repairing and that my warranty for the injector pump would be void. Noew if I ended up fixing the problem by only changing the FSD and it ran beautiful for the whole last year what will happen now if I bring it back to a chevy dealership to have the injector pump replaced under the extende warranty?
Expert:  RICK replied 8 years ago.
Hi Customer,
first dealership did not perform work and was diagnosis was not correct, if you have receipt showing what did correct, and they have to prove was fuel contamination that caused failure..just went through one of these 2 months ago, i'm a service director at chevy dealership , no way to prove customer is right, unless pump gets to repair facility and the find improper fuel in pump, (such as red diesel fuel used on farms), they should take care of , if hassle ask service manager for gm assistance number and start assistance case.. they will help, you are in right....rick