Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager
Experience:  ASE Certified Parts and Service Specialist
10675526

The fuel pressure sensor without removing the fuel tank..Silverado

Can I reach the fuel pressure sensor without removing the fuel tank on my 98 Silverado?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. I would be glad to assist you.

No, you have to remove the fuel tank to acces the fuel pressure sensor. The fuel pressure sensor is attached to the fuel sending unit in the fuel tank.

Here are the instruction on how to remove the rear tank:

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Drain the fuel from the tank. Refer to Draining Fuel Tank .
  2. Raise the vehicle.

graphic

3. Remove the fuel tank off-road shield, if equipped

graphic

4. Loosen the filler neck hose clamp at the fuel tank and disconnect the fuel tank filler neck from the fuel tank.

graphic

5. Support the fuel tank and remove the tank straps and insulator strips, if equipped.

graphic

6. Lower the fuel tank. Disconnect the fuel feed and vapor hoses. Disconnect the electrical connections at the sender.

graphic

Here is the procedure to remove the side gas tank:

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

2. Raise the vehicle.

graphic

3. Loosen the filler neck hose clamp at the fuel tank and disconnect the fuel tank filler neck from the fuel tank.

graphic

4. Support the fuel tank and remove the tank straps and insulator strips, if equipped.

graphic

5. Lower the fuel tank shield.

graphic

6. Lower the fuel tank.

7. Disconnect the fuel feed and vapor hoses.

8. Disconnect the electrical connections at the sender.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not need a new fuel pump do I?

No, but the fuel pressure sensor fits into the fuel sender on the rear tank. The fuel sender is the assembly that holds the fuel pump.

On the side tank, the fuel pressure sensor is located on the upper portion of the front of the tank assembly. The sensor is attached directly to the body of the side fuel tank.

Experience: ASE Certified Parts and Service Specialist