Jay
Jay, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  5 yrs experience, GM Trained,
12620940

2003 cavalier: a/t 2.2 ecotech random misfire code..idles..surges

2003 cavalier a/t 2.2 ecotech random misfire code. idles poorly, surges at idle. runs ok off idle.o2 sensor reads rich at idle.reads normaly off idle injector pulse width is 4.6 to 5.2 at idle.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.

I believe it is your ignition control module. I've seen many of these causing misfires on the ecotech engines and replacing them makes the misfire go away. Assuming it is the Ignition control module here are the instructions for replacing it.

Ignition Coil Housing Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the accelerator and cruise control cables from the bracket, if equipped.
  2. Remove the bracket.
  3. Remove the ignition control module (ICM) . Refer to Ignition Control Module Replacement .
    Object Number: 412144  Size: SH

4. Remove the ignition coil housing retaining bolts.
  5. Remove the ignition coil housing from the camshaft cover.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 412144  Size: SH

1. Install the ignition coil housing to the camshaft cover. Install the ignition coil housing retaining bolts.
  2. Tighten
    Tighten the retaining bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

3. Install the ICM. Refer to Ignition Control Module Replacement .
  4. Install the accelerator and cruise control cables bracket.
  5. Install the accelerator and cruise control cables bracket bolts.

Tighten

6. Install the accelerator and cruise control cables to the bracket.

Ignition Control Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Remove the accelerator cable from the bracket.
  3. Remove the accelerator cable bracket bolt.
  4. Remove the accelerator cable bracket.
    Object Number: 783965  Size: SH

5. Disconnect the ignition control module (ICM) harness connector.
  6. Remove the ICM retaining screws.
  7. Remove the ICM from the ignition coil housing.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 783965  Size: SH

Important: Make sure the interconnect and seal are lined up before module installation.

1. Install the ignition control module in the ignition coil housing.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the ICM retaining screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the retaining screws to 1.5 N·m (13 lb in).

3. Connect the ICM harness connector.
  4. Install the accelerator cable bracket.

5. Install the accelerator cable bracket bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the retaining screws to 10 N·m (18 lb in).

6. Install the accelerator cable to the bracket.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So I've replaced the ignition module.Still surges,Still idles poorly still has a random misfire code still runs rich at idle any other ideas?I have replaced the spark plugs, coils,map sensor and ignition module.Surges and runs rich at idle,O2 switches normally off idle.At idle o2 sensor sits about .900.At 1500 rpm o2 switches normally.engine load value on the snap on scanner reads 62% at idle
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.

Hello hubala, look really carefully for an intake vacuum leak and also check circuits 423 and 406 IC timing control for poor connection on either end at the pcm or ignition control module. Also check these circuits for a intermittent short to ground, they may short on the AC lines near the AC compressor, on the transmission mount, or on the transmission lines where the lines enter the transmission. Here is a schematic of the circuit just click here. Please reply.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont have a viewer for docx files.is it available in a different format?
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.

Here is another schematic unfortunately it will come up very large on your screen but you will be able to navigate to see the circuits I'm talking about.

Object Number: 783407  Size: FS

Jay, Chevy Mechanic
Experience: 5 yrs experience, GM Trained,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
engine made some noise for the first time coming out of timing chain area.turns out the timing chain had slipped.adjusted cam timing,doesn't surge anymore.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
I'm glad you found the problemCustomer Thanks for using J.A.