GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman - GM World Class Tech
Experience:  GM
6758627

1997 chevy truck: 5.7L engine, 2 wheel drive..O2 sensors..drove

I have a 1997 chevy truck, 5.7L engine,XXXXXwith 162000 miles on it. I was getting some codes, I replaced both O2 sensors and the throttle position sensor ( it was hanging), I reset the computer, drove it for about 30 miles. I am now getting 3 codes, P0154, P0154 & P1153 what would be my next steps in this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 6 years ago.
Hello! When you say "both" O2 sensors, which two are you refering too, because this truck actually has four! Are you having any other issues with this truck? Has the intake gasket leaked coolant in the past, or perhaps your loosing coolant now?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was only aware of the 2 O2 sensors, that is all that I show in the repair manuals, 1. on the driver side of the truck on the down tube of the y pipe and the the other one behind the cat conv. on the passenger side. This one said back on the O2 backs and the front one said "front".
Yes I have had a coolant leak in the past due to the dexcool that came in the truck, I had to have the heads pulled and the gaskets replaced, I then had them use regular coolant, the was about 6 or 7 years ago. This was done at a regular shop. And yes I am having coolant issues again, I have just replaced the water pump the same day I did the other work, the weep hole looked like it had been leaking so I replaced it. Have not had enough time to determine if this fixed my coolant leak.
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 5 years ago.

OK, those two codes point to the Bank #2, Sensor #1 Oxygen sensor. This is located on the passenger side, before the catalytic converter. Your truck has four. One on each side before the converters and one on each side after the converters.

The reason I asked about the coolant leak, is because usually when I see the passenger front sensor fail, its because the intake gasket leaks, runs down the transmission bellhousing and drips on to the sensor or sensor connector.

I would start by replacing this sensor, and carefully look at the connector and surrounding areas for evedince of coolant leaking back there.

Experience: GM