Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications
3077897

I have a 99 Silverado with the 5.3L...starter..engage

I have a '99 Silverado with the 5.3L. Sometimes the starter will not engage. All power works everywhere else. Is the solenoid bad on the starter? If so, how difficult a job is it to replace?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Hi, when you say that the starter doesnt engage, do you mean it makes no sound at all? Or a click? Let me know and i will try to help you out. Thanks Eric

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, no sound at all. I can hear the relay click in the electrical center, but nothing from the starter.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here is the procedure for replacing the starter. Pretty straight forward.

Starter Replacement (4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L)

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable
  2. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  3. Remove the protective shields as necessary.
  4. Remove the starter solenoid shield.
  5. Remove the starter to transmission close out cover bolt.
  6. Disconnect the engine oil level sensor connection.
  7. Remove the front axle mounting bracket through bolt nut.
  8. Reposition the front axle mounting bracket through bolt until the bolt tip is flush with the support bushing. Do not remove the bolt.
    Object Number: 385813  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  9. Remove the mounting bolts from the engine block.
  10. Slide the starter forward until the starter clears the transmission.
  11. Remove the starter transmission close out cover.
    Object Number: 368410  Size: SH
  12. Disconnect the positive battery cable and wiring harness from the starter.
  13. Remove the starter from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the starter to the vehicle.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Object Number: 368410  Size: SH
  2. Connect the positive battery cable to the starter.

Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 16 N·m (12 lb in).

Object Number: 385813  Size: SH
  3. Install the starter transmission close out cover.
  4. Install the mounting bolts to the engine block.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

5. Reposition the front axle mounting bracket through bolt until the bolt is fully seated
  6. Install the front axle mounting bracket through bolt nut.

Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 90 N·m (67 lb ft).

7. Disconnect the engine oil level sensor connection.
  8. Install the starter to transmission close out cover bolt.
  9. Install the starter solenoid shield.
  10. Install the protective shields as necessary.
  11. Remove the safety stands.
  12. Lower the vehicle.
  13. Connect the negative battery cable.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

14. Let me know if i can help you further. Please click on accept. Thanks Eric

Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience: ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications