ATCAT
ATCAT, GM Master Tech
Experience:  GM Master Tech/ GM Diesel Tech/ ASE Master Tech
7249351

Replace the power steering pump in a 2000 chevy 2500 express van

Customer Question

how do i replace the power steering pump in a 2000 chevy 2500 express van
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ATCAT replied 6 years ago.
Customer

I don't know wich engine you have so here is the procedure for the most common engine in this vehicle. The procedure will be very simmilar for all the gas engines. The diesel motor will be a little different so I will include that procedure also. You will need a power steering pump pulley remover and installer to perform this operation, and of course a good set of basic hand tools.

• Tools Required
  • J25034-C Power Steering Pulley Remover
  • J25033-C Power Steering Pump Pulley Installer

Removal Procedure

1. Place a drain pan below the pump (2).
  2. Remove the fan shroud. Refer to Fan Shroud Replacement in Cooling System.
  3. Remove the pump drive belt. Install a 3/8 inch drive ratchet on the tensioner arm and rotate the arm counterclockwise.
  4. Disconnect the hoses at the pump. Raise the hose up in order to prevent drainage of the oil.
  5. Cap the ends of the hose and the pump in order to prevent the entrance of dirt.
  6. Disconnect the reservoir hose at the pump.
  7. Cap the pump fittings.

1. Install the J25034-C.
  2. Turn the nut to the top of the pilot bolt in order to ensure that the pilot bolt bottoms in the pump shaft.
  3. Hold the pilot bolt.
  4. Turn the nut counterclockwise.
  5. Remove the pulley from the pump.
  6. Remove the remaining pump line.
  7. Cap the connection.
  8. Remove the following parts:
    • The adjusting bolts (5)
    • The nuts (4)
    • The brackets (1, 3)
  1. Remove the pump from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the brackets (1, 3) to the pump (2).
  2. Place the pulley on the end of the pump shaft.

1. Install the J25033-C.
  3. Hold the pilot bolt.
  4. Turn the nut clockwise.
  5. Prior to mounting the pump, fill the pump housing with as much fluid as possible.
  6. Loosely install the pump assembly to the engine using the bolts (5) and the nuts (4). Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Important:
    • Improperly installed hoses are subject to chafing and other abuses during sharp turns.
    • Do not start the engine with any disconnected power steering hoses. When the power steering hoses are connected, ensure that the hoses and the drive belt, the sheet metal, and any other components have clearance in order to avoid chafing or interference.
  1. Connect the power steering hoses to the pump. Tighten the hose fittings to 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.).
  2. Fill the reservoir.
  3. Turn the pulley counterclockwise as viewed from the front in order to bleed the pump. Cease turning the pulley when air bubbles no longer appear.
  4. Tighten the steering pump mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.).
  5. Install the pump drive belt. Install a 3/8 inch drive ratchet on the tensioner arm and rotate the arm counterclockwise.
  6. Install the fan shroud. Refer to Fan Shroud Replacement in Cooling System.
  7. Fill the system with power steering fluid.
  8. Bleed the system. Refer to Bleeding the Power Steering System.

Diesel engine;

• Tools Required
  • 125033-C Power Steering Pump Pulley Installer

Removal Procedure

2. Remove the pump drive belt. Install a 3/8 inch drive ratchet on the tensioner arm and rotate the arm counterclockwise.
  3. Disconnect the hoses at the pump. Raise the hose up in order to prevent drainage of the oil.
  4. Cap the ends of the hose and the pump in order to prevent the entrance of dirt.
  5. Disconnect the reservoir hose at the pump.
  6. Cap the pump fittings.
  7. Remove the pulley from the pump.

1. Install the J25034-C.
  3. Hold the pilot bolt.
  4. Turn the nut counterclockwise.
  5. Remove the remaining pump line.
  6. Cap the connection.
  7. Remove the following parts:
    • The adjusting bolts (1, 3)
    • The brackets (2)
    • The nuts
  1. Remove the pump from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the brackets (2) to the pump.

1. Install the J25033-C.
  3. Hold the pilot bolt.
  4. Turn the nut clockwise.
  6. Loosely install the pump assembly to the engine using the bolts (1, 3). Important:

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

2. Fill the reservoir.
  3. Turn the pulley counterclockwise, as viewed from the front, in order to bleed the pump. Cease turning the pulley when air bubbles no longer appear.
  6. Fill the system with power steering fluid.
  7. Bleed the system. Refer to Bleeding the Power Steering System.