Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show

my s10 headlights and dash lights flicker.

HelloCustomer I didn't see a listing in my information system for this bulletin. If you would like to hone in the cause, I'd be glad to help you. Do all the lights flicker together? do the parking lights flicker as well? Does the flickering happen when you hit bumps? What is the scenerio that leads up to the flickering?

Your JA Expert,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I realized after asking the question that I didn't give enough symptoms.

Obviously I see it more at night (s10 lights are always on) dash lights, headlight flicker randomly. Very fast, time span between off/on is irregular, maybe 10 seconds, mayb 60 seconds. Smooth road, Highway speeds, I do not notice it at regular street speeds.

It seems to be speed related, does not flicker below 65mph.

I've had it to Chevy, they checked system and found nothing wrong.

Independent mechanic could not reproduce. But my wife sees it also. It's worrisom as I'm afraid they would quit altogether at night on highway.

That service bulletin refers to the problem and on newsgroup a person said he had it with his Venture and the mechanic fixed the problem after seeing the bulletin.

Wife and I take frequent driving vacations. please find the answer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I may have stated that incorrectly.

The flicker is extremely fast but I can see the speedometer needle drop for that fraction of a second.

the time between flicker is irregular

At first, I thought it was my eyes blinking...till my wife said she saw it also.

Is it random flickering or does it seem like a pulsating at a constant frequency?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I can't answer's frequent enough that it's hard to tell.

Plus...I'm driving, and it's usually high speed, 70mph

It seems that the flickering does NOT happen at slower speeds.

But if I hit 70, and I mean exactly 70.

I even had the cruise checked out, although it happens if I'm using cruise or not

Ok, I found some info. These are posts from one of my trade forums. The first is from a Chevy Venture. The second if from a Chevy Silverado. Both around the year of your S10. Look at them. Both were corrected by their posted fixes. If you need help with the first one. Let me know and I'll analyze it and help you. If you feel it's enough to go on your own, no problem, let me know as well.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

That could be it.

Thanks for your time and I hope I can reply to you with the results of this repair.

I always suspected it was a 'grounding' issue. As you see gravel bomber with flickering headlights, due to the rough terrain. Could be similar

I hope you find success. Keep me posted.