Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

How do I change a water pump on an 02 duramax

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Here is what you are going to need to do to replace the water pump on a 6.6. Note the special holding tool that goes in place of the starter. This is a must to remove the balancer due to the balancer bolt being tightened to 260 ft lbs. Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!

Object Number: 401885  Size: SH

1. Remove the left front fender wheelhouse inner panel (1).
  2. Drain the engine coolant and the engine block.
  3. Remove the thermostat housing crossover.
  4. Remove the fan clutch.
    Object Number: 660305  Size: SH

5. Remove the starter motor and set aside. The wiring to the starter does not require removal.
    Object Number: 660308  Size: SH

6. Install the J 44643 in the starter motor opening in order to hold the engine from turning.
  7. Lower the vehicle.
  8. Remove the upper and lower fan shroud.
  9. Object Number: 660519  Size: SH
  10. Remove the water pump outlet pipe to water pump nuts.
  11. Remove the engine wiring harness retainer from the inner stud.
    Object Number: 660521  Size: SH
  12. Remove the water pump bolts. Note the location of the bolts. The bolts are three different lengths.
  13. Remove the water pump assembly.
  14. Remove the water pump outlet pipe gasket.
    Object Number: 660521  Size: SH

15. Lubricate the water pump O-ring with engine oil.
  16. Install the water pump.
  17. Install the water pump bolts. Ensure the correct length bolt is used in the proper location.

Tighten
    Tighten the water pump bolts to 21 N·m (15 lb ft).

Object Number: 660519  Size: SH

18. Install the water pump to water pump outlet pipe gasket.
  19. Install the engine wiring harness retainer on the water pump outlet pipe inner stud.
  20. Install the water pump to water pump outlet pipe nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the water pump to water pump outlet pipe nuts to 21 N·m (15 lb ft).

21. Install the thermostat housing crossover.
    Object Number: 660310  Size: SH

22. Lightly lubricate the crankshaft balancer internal hub with engine oil.
  23. Install the crankshaft balancer on the crankshaft.
  24. Lightly lubricate the crankshaft balancer bolt with engine oil.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

25. Install the crankshaft balancer bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt with plain washer to 363 N·m (278 lb ft).

Object Number: 660305  Size: SH

26. Raise the vehicle.
  27. Remove the J 44643 .
  28. Install the starter motor and bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the starter motor bolts to 78 N·m (58 lb ft).

29. Install the fan clutch.
  30. Fill the engine with coolant.
  31. Install the left front fender wheelhouse inner panel (1).
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION