Tim Basham
Tim Basham, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  30 years multi line tech ASE cert master tech ASE engine machinist, 9 years GM dealer exp.

what is the correct fuel pressure on a 1997 chevy van 5.7 engine

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim Basham replied 5 years ago.
Spec is 60 psi to 66 psi but I have seen starting problems on these if the pressure is below 63 psi.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If it is below what could be the cause? the pump seams to be ok
The most common problem is the pump. But other possible problems can be restricted fuel filter, leaking regulator or leaking injectors. The pump can run just fine and not produce enough pressure. It is also common that one these that they will start very hard first time of the day but once started will start and run fine the rest of the day. Just be sure if the pump is replaced the in line filter is also replaced.
BTW what is the actual problem your having with the van.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can I speak to you on the phone ? Thank You wendy(NNN) NNN-NNNNI am not very good typing and very slow

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just like you said First time of the day takes about 15-20 trys to start . It is in a shop now. They kept it over night when they called me they said it was the battery they put in a new one. I went to pick it up after about 6 hours . I had the tech start it it took 2 trys I told him to keep it again to see what happens tomorrow Thank you
From your description it does sound like a bad fuel pump. They will need to do a pressure test on it first thing in the morning to verify this. If seems that anything less than 63 psi will be hard to start and anything less than about 57 will be a no start. I usually put 2 to 3 pumps into GM vehicles a week. They also need to check the connection at the pump unit and also at the connector in front of the tank for any signs of the connections heating up. Most new pump units will come with a new connector for at the tank unit.
Experience: 30 years multi line tech ASE cert master tech ASE engine machinist, 9 years GM dealer exp.