ttiger79
ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Advanced Engine Performance

check engine light on 2004 chevy silverado

Submitted: 5 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 5 years ago.
Hi!
Do you know what code is being stored in the computer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, how do i check the code? Do i need a auto scanner?
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you will need at least a code reader to pull the code. If you can get to the auto parts store, they should be able to read the code for you, though. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. If you can get me a code number, I can point you in the right direction!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will have to get back with that info.
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 5 years ago.
Sounds good! Just post back here when you get the codes, and I will point you in the right direction!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
O.k just got the code and it read P0430.
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 5 years ago.
Ok,
The code that you have is described as the catalytic converter inefficiency on bank 2 (the right side of the motor.) This means that the computer is getting a signal from the downstream oxygen sensor that indicates that the converter isn't cleaning up the exhaust as well as it should be. Most likely, the converter on this bank is weak. The only other things that will cause this code to appear may be a faulty downstream oxygen sensor (this should store a code as well) or a leaky exhaust before the downstream oxygen sensor. This probably isn't the case, though.

Check with your dealership on this one for a warranty, though. If you have less than 80,000 miles on it, it's federal law to warranty this part out if you are less than 8 years or 80k miles.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the reply although I do have other questions, no other code was found for I was waiting to see if there was one but there wasn't. Also my truck is not under general warranty. How can i have this problem fixed? Replacing the converter I assume, is that expensive? Does the fact that I had an exhaust installed the cause of the problem.( installed in dec).
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 5 years ago.
This is probably the only code that is stored then. This pretty much rules out any other part being at fault. You may not be under the general warranty anymore, but federal law requires manufacturers to warranty catalytic converters for 8 years or 80k miles. They are fairly expensive to replace- around $450 shop cost. The install of the aftermarket exhaust shouldn't affect the converters at all- unless they were removed! In a few very rare cases, I've seen the added flow from a less restricted (non stock) exhaust causes the exahust to move too quickly through the converter, and could cause this code, but this most likely isn't the case with your truck.
ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master Certified, Advanced Engine Performance