ttiger79
ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Advanced Engine Performance
2207141

Malibu: i reset the passlock

Customer Question

how do i reset the passlock on a 02 malibu if the ten minute wait in ON position doesn't work?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 6 years ago.
Hi!
Did you replace the lock cylinder as well?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes

Expert:  ttiger79 replied 6 years ago.
Ok,
If you have replaced both of these parts, then the problem with the antitheft system is somewhere else. The only way to know where the failure is for sure is to have a scantool that can access the antitheft trouble codes that are stored in the BCM. The only other way to reset the antiheft system is to use the GM MasterTech scantool, and access the security functions of the BCM. If the auto learn didn't work, then this probably won't work either, though. Did you check the wiring in the antitheft system?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
all wires are intact and in good condition. car was put on the scantool and it said to replace lock cylinder/ignition. is there a way to bypass the whole anti theft system with it being triggered like it is-maybe a remote start or bypass module? or can GM service department reset the computer or whatever it is? i know that the system disables the fuel system. would a secondary fuel pump or rewire of existing fule pump bypass the problem or does the system disable the injectors or some other part of the fule system?
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 6 years ago.
You would be correct on the system operation. The passlock system uses the BCM in cooperation with the PCM to disable the car when the signal is wrong. There's no way to bypass this particular system. When the signal is incorrect from the key, the BCM tells the PCM to disable the fuel injectors (the injector drivers in the PCM are disabled.)

A dealership would be able to program the new parts using the GM MasterTech scantool, however, if there's a problem anywhere in the system, they will get the same results that you got.

How did you try the auto learn? Did you do it like this:

30 MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes , the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. IMPORTANT : The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
7. DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

The auto learn procedure is actually a 30 minute procedure. Follow these directions exactly as I listed, and if there's no other problems in the system, the car should start after the half hour.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i will try this but the car has been in ON for several hours after attempting to start and the light never goes off or flashes, just a steady ON. any other suggestions?
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 6 years ago.
You will have to turn the key off and crank it after the ten minutes like the I mentioned (may be a little more or less than 10 minutes- it's approximate.) The security system uses the crank signal from the second start in the procedure to learn the new parts that you installed. The light should stay on for approximately ten minutes, then go off. Give this a try. Just follow the procedure exactly as written. The car will start if there's no other problems in the system.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
none of the above worked. i do have the car running now. i added a resistor on the yellow wire to trick anti theft module into believing it was getting correct signal.