Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
12642649

SFI to MPFI conversion instructions for 1997 5.

SFI to MPFI conversion instructions for 1997 5.7 Suburban
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Hello raysoncraft,

Done this a lot. I will include instructions to do the conversion after the plemium(upper intake)is off. Let me know if you need the instructions for the removal of the plemium, or any other help you may need . Good Luck.

V8 Engines

This procedure outlines the steps required to replace the existing Central SFI Fuel System with a new MFI (Multiport Flexible Injection) Fuel System. Be sure to use the appropriate year and model Service Manual for proper disassembly and re-assembly procedure(s).

1. Remove Upper Intake Manifold plenum and SFI Fuel Meter Body according to Service Manual Procedures.
  2. Remove the Fuel Meter Body bracket and discard. Install the new bracket.

Figure 3

Object Number: 900021  Size: SF

(1)Cyl. 2, 4, 6 and 8 tubes
    (2)Fuel Inlet
    (3)Cyl. 1, 3, 5 and 7 tubes
    (4)Fuel Pressure Regulator
  3. Position Fuel Tubes of MFI Fuel Meter Body as shown in Figure 3. Fuel tubes 1, 3, 5, and 7 are oriented toward the fuel inlet side of the fuel meter body. Fuel tubes 2,4,6, and 8 are oriented toward the fuel pressure regulator side if the fuel meter body.
  4. Insert the MFI Fuel Meter Body into the Fuel Meter Body Bracket on the Lower Intake Manifold being careful not to bind the Fuel Tubes. Push down firmly on the fuel meter body until the tabs snap into the bracket locking the fuel meter body in place.
    Object Number: 900022  Size: MH

(1)Cylinders 6 & 8
    (2)Fuel Pressure Regulator
    (3)Cylinders 2 & 4
    (4)Cylinders 5 & 7
    (5)Cylinders 1 & 3
  5. Orient the fuel tubes to coincide with their corresponding cylinder. The fuel tubes are numbered on the side of the fuel meter body and the corresponding cylinder number is XXXXX in the intake manifold.

Notice: Use caution when inserting injectors into lower intake manifold to be sure the correct injector is being placed into the correct hole.

Injectors should not be removed once they have been installed.

Removal of injectors from the intake manifold may cause damage to the retaining lugs on the injector.

Important: The Injector holes are numbered on the Lower Intake Manifold. The injectors are numbered on the side of the Fuel Meter Body.

6. Insert the fuel tubes into their corresponding holes in the intake manifold. Install tubes for cylinders 1, 3, 6 and 8 making sure that the injector electrical connectors are facing in toward the center of the manifold.
  7. Insert fuel tubes for cylinders 2,4,5, and 7 in the same manner.

Important: When installing fuel tubes, it is important that the tubes are oriented properly to provide minimal interference when installing the upper intake manifold plenum. Intake holes for cylinders 2, 4, 5, and 7 are closer to the fuel meter body. It is necessary to cross tube 5 over tube 7 and tube 4 over tube 2 as shown in Figure 4.

Notice: Lack of lubrication will make installation of the Upper Intake Manifold plenum difficult and may cause damage to the O-ring.

8. Lubricate the Fuel Meter Body Upper Manifold O-ring (blue in color) with clean engine oil.
  9. Inspect Upper Intake Manifold Gasket and replace if necessary. Reinstall the Upper Intake Manifold plenum following the procedures in the Service Manual.

Important: Lubricate the Fuel Inlet and Return Lines with clean engine oil before inserting them in the of the Fuel Meter Body.

Make sure that Fuel Line Retaining Bracket is properly oriented with the tabs down.

10. Parts Information

Cleaning Procedure Parts

Part Number

Description

12345382

Threadlock

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Top Engine Cleaner (U.S.)

992872

Top Engine Cleaner (Canada)

12345104

Port Fuel Injector Cleaner (U.S.)

10953467

Port Fuel Injector Cleaner (Canada)

CSFI to MFI Conversion Parts

Part Number

Description

12568332

V-6 MFI Assembly

88894355

V-6 Bracket

17113215

V-6 Seal Kit

93441235

V-8 MFI Assembly

17113206

V-8 Seal Kit

93442096

V-8 Bracket

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I need the instructions for the removal of the plemium
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Easy to do. Here are the instructions:

Intake Manifold Replacement (Upper)

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable assembly from the battery negative terminal. Refer to

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

Battery Disconnect Caution in General Information.
  2. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Object Number: 66929  Size: LH

3. Remove the wiring harness connectors and the brackets and move aside.
  4. Remove the throttle cable and the bracket from the upper intake manifold.
  5. Remove the cruise control cable, (if equipped).
  6. Remove the fuel lines from the intake to the rear of the block.
  7. Remove the ignition coil and the bracket.
  8. Remove the upper intake manifold.

1. Installation Procedure
  2. Install the upper intake manifold gasket.
  3. Install the upper intake manifold. Use care not to pinch the injector lines between the upper and lower intake manifolds.
  4. Install the upper intake manifold bolts. Note the marks made at disassembly for proper stud location. Install the two corner studs first in order to help align the two halves.
  5. Tighten the bolts in two steps:

Tighten

1. Tighten the bolts on the first sequence to 5 N·m (45 lb in).
    2. Tighten the bolts on the final sequence to 10 N·m (83 lb in).
  6. Install the purge solenoid and bracket.
  7. Install the ignition coil and bracket.
  8. Install the PCV hose at the upper intake manifold.
  9. Install the fuel lines from the intake at the rear of the block.
  10. Install the cruise control cable (if equipped).
  11. Install the throttle cable and bracket from the upper intake manifold.
  12. Install the wiring harness connectors and brackets.
  13. Install the air cleaner assembly.
  14. Connect the battery negative cable assembly to the battery negative terminal.
  15. Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).

Please let me know if you don't understand a step or have problem with a step.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician