Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
12642649

my 2004 2500 awd chevy express van begins to vibrate very

Customer Question

my 2004 2500 awd chevy express van begins to vibrate very hard ocassionally while coasting,usually from 40 mph on down and ending before a full stop.i pulled the abs fuse,no change.the tranny seems to operate fine.the noise and vibration are "violent".
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

There are a couple of things it could be.

1) Wheel bearings. Raise the tires off the ground and check if the wheel has any play in it. I have been seeing a lot of these lately.

2) Check the tires. Sometimes a belt in the tire comes apart and can cause a vibration.

3) Brakes, Make sure all wheels turn freely.

4) Idler arm. Here is a bulletin about it:

Let me know what these things test out to be.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
#07-02-34-001A: Steering Wheel Shake and/or Tire Wear (Inspect Steering Linkage) - (Jan 3, 2008)

Subject:Steering Wheel Shake and/or Tire Wear (Inspect Steering Linkage)

Models:2004-2007 Chevrolet Express 3/4 or 1 Ton
2004-2007 GMC Savana 3/4 or 1 Ton

Condition

Some customers may comment on a shake in the steering wheel or that the front tires have wear.

Cause

This condition may be due to excessive play in the idler arm assembly.

Correction

Inspect the front end components for wear . Refer to Symptoms Suspension General Diagnosis, Steering Linkage Inspection and Idler Arm Inspection in SI. If the Idler arm is out of specification, replace the idler arm and pitman arm as a set with the new designed parts listed below. The new idler arm and pitman arm has a 3 degree angle built in. This will add in the clearance between the tie rod and the frame. Refer to Idler Arm Replacement and Pitman Arm Replacement in SI.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

19178433

Idler Arm Kit

19168473

Pitman Arm Kit (3 Block Tooth Design)

19168944

Pitman Arm Kit (4 Block Tooth Design

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan, this is'nt an easy one. the vibration is "violent" ,noisy(people in other cars are starring due to the noise)and comes from out of the blue.all of the basic maintanance items are o.k. The "source" seems to be the middle to back half of the van(another reason i tried the abs brake fuse)the problem is not steering wheel related.the entire van vibrates very hard(not shake)for no obvious reason .the vibration always stops just before the wheels completly stop.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Vibrations and noises are hard to diagnosise without being there.

Transfer Case. Check the fluid in the transfer case. I believe it takes a 18mm wrench to get the fill plug out. check for leaks. Also I found this info from GM

Also check the U-joints. They normally cause a squeak when take off.

#PIP4070A: Transfer Case Front Input Shaft Seal is Popped Out - keywords fluid grind growl inoperative leak noise - (Jan 25, 2008)

Subject:Transfer Case Front Input Shaft Seal is Popped Out

Models:2003-2008 Chevrolet Express
2003-2008 GMC Savana
Equipped with All Wheel Drive (AWD)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Technicians may find during any repair to the transfer case that the transfer case front input shaft seal is popped out and may be leaking. The cause may be due to a failed rear bushing and seizing of the propshaft slip yoke splines.

The front seal being popped out will be a result of this internal transfer case concern causing the slip yoke to overheat and bind resulting in the front input shaft seal popping out.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Tear down and inspect the transfer case, repair or replace the transfer case in the most cost effective way, replace the rear prop shaft slip yoke due to a possible binding concern and to prevent repeat repairs.

The transfer case fill recommendations have changed. Fill transfer case to the bottom of the fill plug. Add an additional 1.0L through the threaded speed sensor hole. The total fill amount is now approximately 2.5L.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dan,this seems more like it as i did notice some leakage at the transfer case.(sorry)Thankyou!

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Yea I never saw this bulletin until I done some research on this post. I will help me out in my job also. let me know what you find.