BOBBYSS, Master Technician

2003 chevy malibu: lost power..turn over but wont stay running

my 2003 chevy malibu hesitated, lost power and just quit. Does turn over but won't stay running?
HelloCustomer can you hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key on? Was the vehicle low on fuel?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

hi and thanks

I had just filled the tank. Not sure if I can hear the fuel pump turn on.

Okay. Turn the key to the run position and see if you can hear a buzz from the rear of the vehicle. If not then the pump is not turning on. If it is then the problem is something else. Does the security light come on or flash when you crank the engine?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi BobbySS I could hear the buzz from the rear of the car. None of the lights on the dash flash as I'm trying to crank the engine.

Okay. At this point you would need to see if the vehicle is lacking fuel or spark. You need to add fuel directly into the engine to see if it will start. If it does then there is a problem with the fuel system. If it still will not start then you may have an ignition system problem.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how would you get fuel to it, with it not having a typical carburetor?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

when I turn the key to the on position the theft system, oil, battery and check engine lights all come on.

When cranking - the oil, battery and check engine lights come on, all are steady.

After cranking for a while the gas gauge light comes on the needle drops to empty then goes back to full.