Thanks a lot! for answering, and your answer does clarify that it's important to go ahead and do the fuel tank now, so I will do that. I just went to a new mechanic, whom I think is trustworthy. When I brought the Chevy in to find out what to do about the fuel tank, I had asked him to check the brakes
, and, he had found that the rear brakes were in bad shape - (I know I won't describe this correctly, but anyway, here goes) one wasn't on the right way, pad was still 100%, and both were already grinding (?) into the drum - I've had the Chevy since 2001, and don't have a record or remember who might have done that - anyway, it clearly seemed that getting the brakes done was essential, so that was $500 off the bat, which is why I was less prepared to deal with the fuel tank right away, and trying to figure out if I could wait. But I guess I'll have to 'bite the bullet' and do it right away, just so I don't run into trouble unexpectedly. Would it be much better to do the tuneup at the same time as the fuel tank & pump get changed? so the whole system is cleaned at the same time, even though the mechanic said it seemed I could wait a while on the tuneup? He said it was @ 50-60 % necessary, which probably means at least 2-3 months before I Have to
do it. Thanks for offering to help me do it, but no way could I do that...(female, not auto/mechanically inclined). Re the Voyager, there's an exhaust
leak near the manifold, & this new mechanic is the 2nd one to say it's not worth investing in any more. I really like it, and put a lot into it over the years..can't tell you specifically right now where the oil leak is, as that was new info on Friday when he had checked it, and his report was to 'give it up'.. I had been thinking of trying to just put in a new used/reconditioned engine instead of messing with this engine, as the body is still okay, though it has some dings. I thought that would be easier than to sell it(when I might not get much for it anyway) and then try to find a used small car in good shape, since I don't have help to look for one, and who knows what I'd get into, that might need work too - I'm pretty concerned about how I would find something else decent and trustworthy. So, for now, that's why it's still worth investing in the Chevy, as in many respects it still serves me well, and I would keep it no matter what. I would rather have a small car with better mileage for around town,and short trips, but until I can trust the process of how to find another small car, that's been my dilemma - how to get by, and not 'over-invest' in the Voyager, and meanwhile, now that the Chevy is becoming my main vehicle even around town, knowing that I have to put up with higher gas costs until I can get to the point of finding a smaller one for my regular use. At this point (not being flush with money anyway), it certainly doesn't seem like a new engine in the Voyager is worth it - seems better to finally accept selling it and work with the Chevy meanwhile. With your skills, you might be able to make it worth saving the Voyager, but I don't think I have the kind of help here that would keep the costs of saving the Voyager down enough to be in balance with what it ends up being worth..Does that seem right to you? Thanks VERY much - I really appreciate having found this site, and getting some backup info, as it is hard to know who's Really trustworthy when looking for a new mechanic to work with...