toolpusher08, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE certified,expired. 30 years experiance self employed semi-retired.

2001 chevy cavalier: oil change..the oil pan bolt that I

i have a 2001 chevy cavalier and need to do an oil change. where is the oil pan bolt that I need to remove?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  toolpusher08 replied 8 years ago.

It doesn't matter when you take the oil filter off, but I would take it off after i drained the oil

because it will get really messy. The plug is a 5/8 unless it's been changed and it is located on the back rear of the pan.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the info. I have a couple more questions that I should have asked earlier.

would you recommend going under on the passenger side or driver side? right now the jack is under the passenger side, but i am going to have to move it a little in order to get to the filter.

why can't they put it in an easier reachable spot?!?

my x used to put in a little more than 4 quarts. I took my car to Jiffy Lube last time and they put in 4 quarts...saying anything over 4 was bad for my engine. who should i listen to?

thanks agian for your help

actually it would better and safer if you had a couple of stands or a set off drive on ramps to reach it from the passanger side cause it's kinda at the wheel weld. Most of those hold 4 to 4 1/2 quarts Fully drained. To be sure put 4 quarts in it start it up, let the oil circulate cut it off wait a couple of minutes ,and recheck your oil and see if you need to add the other 1/2 quart.