GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

dtc code po481 fans work fine what would be primary proble

Customer Question

dtc code po481 fans work fine what would be primary problem
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

WelcomeCustomer I have looked at the schematic and if your fans are both working, try swapping the fan relay 2 with another relay in the block other than the fan relays. I will include the schematic below. Please ask if you need more information and let me know what you find.

Object Number: 488728  Size: FS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok will try but wont that set off another dtc code so let me understand try alternate relay reset code and see if that works
It should not set the light if you change it out with something like the AC relay or fog light relay. Which ever have the same numbers on the top.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
#2 has a different # XXXXX Is A different color and is the only one like that in all blocks any other suggestions it is same shape but has 5 pins all others that are similar have 4 pins help !!!!!!!!!!

Did you check the right and left IP fuse blocks? If there is none to try, I think you will have to buy one, unless you have another GM product. Other than that, you can use a scan tool to command the high speed fans on.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what will running fans on high do now that i think about it the fan does not come on when car is off any more is that the cause of a bad relay
If you command the PCM to turn on the high speed fans with a scan tool, you confirm that the wiring to the relay and the relay are operating properly. With out a scan tool, we can only try to swap relays. Do you own another GM product?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks i will pick up a relay at the dealer that one only cost about 20$ will try it out next week would the fan not running on high cause my car to run a little hot

In heavy traffic, it might.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
for future questions and more about my currant problem how do i get back to you after i swap out the relay an log off just answer on the chance that relay is not not the problem and need more advice
For this issue, You can reply to this post even after you accept and I will still help. For future questions, in the line that says TYPE YOUR QUESTION HERE, simply put FOR GMTECH TO ANSWER, then type your question after that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you nothing personal but i hope i wont need to get back to you good advise i will let you know how it turns out

curtis
I understand, you hope your vehicle does not brake down, but if it does, you know where I am.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hello GM tech bad news replaced relay check engine light stayed off for about 12 miles and 3 start cycles and came back on with same dtc code what now

curtis
Ok, I was hoping it was that simple, but I guess that's how it goes. Do you have a test light or multimeter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
have bolth witch will work better

Ok. I will need you to use both. To start with, remove the fan relay 2 and 3, with the ignition on, check the terminals B1 B4 and C1 using the picture below. check that the terminals have power. Also check that the terminals are clean and not deformed.

Object Number: 515955  Size: LF

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no light on any of those terminals
Check the fan control fuse 25amp in that same fuse block. Remember these are made with the ignition turn on.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what do you mean these are made with the ignition on

The terminals will only have power with the ignition in the run position.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
check bolth sides of terminals on 25 amp fuse?
No, sorry, I got you confused. The terminals /B1 B4 and C1, did you check them with the ignition in the run position? If so, check the fuse for power with the ignition on.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just pulled small clear first 25 amp fuse labeled cooling fan and it is blown
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry very small writing fuse was labled fan cont
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
have i pisssed you off????
No, I was lighting my stove. Replace that fuse and try it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will do so you do this full time for a living or do you work for a shop

This is my part time job. I work full time at a GM shop

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so are you able to anser questions during the day and how did you get hooked up with these guys

I do answer during the day. I get paid flat rate, so if I choose, I can answer some question. I was giving away my knowledge at GM Truck,.com, saw an ad and started doing this.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so how do i get you payment i hit the accept button and it says i already accepted
You have already accepted one of my answers to this question. But after you accept, This site transfers the money I have earned to my account at Pay pal and then I transfer it to my bank account.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so if i accept it will take the deposit here it goes
Yes. I see that you have accepted. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well so far so good its dark and cold so im done for the nite we will see what happens thanks for the help im a big GM GUY my 2000 impala has 245,000 miles on original motor and tranny and still going strong heres my email if you ever want to chat about chevy and GM or anythingXXX@XXXXXX.XXX   PS have a 1989 sierra 1500 4x4 that runs like a top it my baby with only 100,000 original miles im in northern califorina were you at?
Alberta, Canada. Your e-mail was blocked out by the site due to personal information censors in place.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its all good big GM tech brother is watching lol love canada been there once had a blast at a place called jasons im sure i be talken to you agian about my impala

thanks curtis
Curtis, The next time you ask a question, in the first line, ask for me.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
you got it