Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician also L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist
112340

1955 chevy: oil filter from the factory..canister..intake manifold

Customer Question

Have an original 1955 chevy 265 - on oil filter from the factory, only the top mounted external canister from a 6-cylinder engine. The oil only trickles through this filter from a tap on the intake manifold, filtering a samll portion of the oil. Is there any way to plumb the pump to channel all the oil through a filter? Thought about a block between the pump and block with in and out taps and hoses through the pan to an external filter, but lots of issues including clearances and sealing the oil pan.....cplua
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Davo replied 6 years ago.
What happened to the housing underneath on the bottom of the block?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Original 1955 265's had no boss on block; no fitting for an oil filter....

Factory option in '55 was to install an external canister on top the block that tapped into the oil gallery for the cam through the intake manifold which set on top of of the gallery. This setup only filtered a small portion of the oil' none going to the crank, etc.

Expert:  Davo replied 6 years ago.
Personally I would keep it stock.All the engine oil will go through that filter.It may take longer but will be the same in the end result.Dirt and metal"for lack of a better description"should be suspended in the oil.Your main concern"the filter removes that" should be using the proper oil.Back then they didn't use high detergent oil like we have today.If you use high detergent oil the pick up in the oil pan may get clogged.How fast it filters it is not a real big issue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

From Wikipedia: 1955 - The first year of introduction in 265 cu in (4.3 L) only. As was fairly common for the time, no provision for an oil filter was included in the engine design

The optional filter in 55 for the 265 feeds from a very small tube from the intake manifold. Return oil dumps into the valley between the cylinders. This oil source is a very small percentage of the oil circulating through the rest of the engine. My question involves capturing oil immediately after the pump, as all subsequent models, but there is no provision for this in the 55 block casting. See original question.....

Expert:  Davo replied 6 years ago.
I understood the original question.What I am saying is all the oil in the engine will go through the optional filter you have.it won't all go through at the same time but it doesn't in any engine.Think about this for a minute,does the oil that goes through the filter mix with other oil in the pan over and over?The answer is yes so all the oil is being filtered.yes it is slower than a modern engine but non the less all of the oil is filtered.You can't re-engineer something that old.If the car is original it needs to be kept that way to be worth anything in the future.Once altered you can't go back.If you want to drive it everyday to go to work drop a later model 350 in it.They will fit up until fuel injection came around with no problem at all.It would bolt right in.I know because I did it myself.I know of a 1915 Buick touring sedan that still runs with no oil filter at all and exposed valve train.They were built that way.The oil isn't trickling either it is under pressure and moving faster than you think.Good luck my friend.I just hope you don't ruin what you are fortunate enough to own.