GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

The 2500 Duramax diesel with 6 speed and 6speed Allison transmission

The 2500 Duramax diesel with 6 speed and 6speed Allison transmission introduced in 2006 yields significantly poorer mileage than prior year units with the 5 speed. This has been confirmed on multiple vehicles. Do you have an explanation or cure?

WelcomeCustomer There is one big cause for this. The LB7 duramax used from 2001 to mid 2004 was 300HP, the LLY used from 2004 to early 2006 is 310HP The LBZ used 2006 and early 2007 has 360HP and The LMM used in new body style has 365HP and also meets the emissions standards. That requires some fuel to heat the exhaust filter to burn off the soot in the filter. BotXXXXX XXXXXne, more power, more fuel. I know some people have removed the filter and installed aftermarket programming and got better mileage, but the emissions will not pass anywhere. Have a great Friday afternoon and please ask if you need more information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do you have the brand name of a programmer that has been successful? I understand it is not an endorsement by you but I would like to expirement on my own. Thanks for the good answer.

I think the ones that have worked are Diablo's.

Thanks for accepting. I hope I can assist you again. Next time ask for GMTECH in the first line. Have a great weekend.