Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

2002 GMC Yukon: Instructions to replace fuel pump..flex fuel

Customer Question

Instructions to replace fuel pump on a 2002 GMC Yukon XL with flex fuel.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

Here is what you are going to need to know to complete this procedure. Feel free to contact me with any quesitons or problems! Good luck!

Object Number: 569639  Size: SH

• Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  • Raise the vehicle. .
  • Remove the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister.
  • Disconnect the chassis fuel pipes (2) at the fuel tank pipes (1).
  • Cap the fuel and EVAP pipes in order to prevent possible fuel system contamination.
    Object Number: 625803  Size: SH

• Disconnect the EVAP vent pipe at the fuel tank clip (5).
    Object Number: 570590  Size: SH

• Loosen the vent hose and filler hose clamp (4, 2).
  • Disconnect the vent hose and filler hose from the pipe.
    Object Number: 570588  Size: SH

• With the aid of an assistant, support the fuel tank.

Notice: Do not bend the fuel tank straps. Bending the fuel tank straps may damage the straps.

• Remove the fuel tank strap attaching bolts.
  • Remove the fuel tank straps.
  • Carefully lower the rear of the fuel tank slightly.
  • Remove the fuel sender cover on the Suburban only.
    Object Number: 373155  Size: SH

• Disconnect the fuel sender and the fuel pressure sensor electrical connectors.
  • Remove the fuel tank.
  • Place the fuel tank in a suitable work area.
    Object Number: 570582  Size: SH

• Remove the fuel feed and return pipes (3) from the fuel sender and the retaining clips.
  • Remove the fuel sender assembly from the fuel tank.
  • Remove fuel lines from sender assembly.
    Object Number: 386369  Size: MH

• Remove the fuel sender assembly retaining ring.
  • Remove the fuel sender assembly and the seal. Discard the seal.

Caution: Drain the fuel from the fuel sender assembly into an approved container in order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury. Never store the fuel in an open container.

• Clean the fuel sender sealing surfaces.
    Object Number: 386369  Size: MH

• Install the new seal on the fuel tank.

Important: The fuel pump strainer must be in a horizontal position when the fuel sender is installed in the tank. When installing the fuel sender assembly, assure that the fuel pump strainer does not block full travel of the float arm.

• Install the fuel sender assembly into the fuel tank.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

• Install the fuel sender assembly retaining ring.
  • Install fuel lines to sender assembly.
  • Install the fuel tank.
    Object Number: 570582  Size: SH

• Install the fuel sender assembly to the fuel tank.
  • Connect the fuel feed and return pipes (3) to the fuel sender and the retaining clips.

• Install the fuel fill hose and the vent hose to the fuel tank.

Tighten
    Tighten the hose clamps to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).

Object Number: 373155  Size: SH

• With the aid of an assistant, support and partially raise the fuel tank front end first.
  • Connect the fuel sender and the fuel pressure sensor electrical connectors.
  • Install the fuel sender cover on the Suburban only.
    Object Number: 570588  Size: SH

• Fully raise the fuel tank.
  • Install the fuel tank straps.
  • Install the fuel tank strap attaching bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

Object Number: 570590  Size: SH

• Connect the fuel fill hose and the vent hose to the pipes.

Tighten

Tighten the fuel fill hose clamp (2) to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).
    Tighten the vent hose clamp (4) to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).

Object Number: 625803  Size: SH

• Connect the EVAP vent pipe to the fuel tank clip (5).
    Object Number: 569639  Size: SH

• Remove the caps from the fuel and EVAP pipes.
  • Connect the chassis fuel pipes (2) at the fuel tank pipes (1).
  • Install the EVAP canister.
  • Lower the vehicle.
  • Refill the fuel tank.
  • Install the fuel filler cap.
  • Connect the negative battery cable.
  • Use the following procedure in order to inspect for leaks:
    20.1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF, for 2 seconds.
    20.2. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
    20.3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    20.4. Inspect for fuel leaks.
  • Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
    Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Can I use the std fuel pump vs. the flex fuel pump?
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

Sorry I did not see that in your additional info until now. I am pretty sure the pumbing is different between the flex and the standard fuel system. I would imagine that this would not work. I cannot honestly say that it won't but I am pretty sure there is a difference.