Online Wrench
Online Wrench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, iATN Member, Asian & Domestic Specialist
12650260

2007 suburban: cranking..The check engine and security warning lights

Customer Question

My 2007 suburban is not cranking. I charged the battery, lights, radio turn on. The check engine and security warning lights come on. In addition there is a message at the diagnostic display that says "service theft deterrent system". Any ideas what may be wrong? Starter? It seems hard to believe since the truck is only 1 year old.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Online Wrench replied 8 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com! I would not over look the "service theft deterrent system". That is probably an indication that the theft deterrent system is activated. I might ask that you try locking and unlocking the doors both with the key fob and the door switch. Also, was the battery ever drained? Why were you charging it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I believe the battery was drained, as I haven't move the car in a while, maybe a month and when I tried starting it no lights turn on.
Make sure the battery is charged good. Then do like I said and take the keys out of the truck. Lock the doors with the key fob, unlock them get in the vehicle and try to start it. Let me know how this goes. Thanks!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will try this tonight and get back to you sometime tomorow.

Ok. I'm afraid that there is a 24 hour experation date on your post. If it will be longer than 24 hours and you want to contact me again, you have to accept my answer. Then you will be able to request my assistance. I will be glad to continue assisting you! Your satisfaction is very important to me! Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
None of the above worked. However, reading the manual last night, it stated that the key could be damaged. I inspected the key and it looked fine to me. Just to try something new, I then tried a spare (much cleaner key) and there it went. the truck started right away.