Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

I own a 2000 gmc sierra 4x4 extended cab 3rd door with a 5.3

I own a 2000 gmc sierra 4x4 extended cab 3rd door with a 5.3 L engine. While driving at about 30 mph about two weeks ago, it seemed that the the transmission suddenly popped out of gear and the engine just revved up as if I was in park revving the engine. Then, a few seconds later there was an audible "pop" and the truck snapped back into gear while coasting and everything seemed fine. About twenty minutes later, I realized that the truck had lost reverse. Everything els works fine: drive, neutral, 1,2,3, but when I put it in reverse nothing happens, as if its in neutral. My question is, what reapairs could I possibly need, and how much might this run me? Possible scenarios? Repair? Overhaul? Replace used? Replace new? Truck has 280,000 miles and 4x4 has not worked since I bought it in 2004. Otherwise great work truck, I pull gardening trailer.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.

Really hate to say I agree with who ever told you replacement, but I am afraid that is the case. Because of the miles on the unit, you will be hard pressed to just repair it. The reverse reaction sun shell has come apart on it. Pretty common thing on these transmissions. When it happens it can take other gears with it, or just the reverse or just one of the other, or a combination of them. . I will post a copy of a tech bulletin released by GM that covers this problem for you below. They have come out with a new stronger replacement for it. But, that does not help your situation. Because of the difference in prices for labor from one area of the country to another, and because of how often prices change in todays economy, I am even hard pressed to give you a price. But the trans will need to come out and be torn down just to replace this part. Then you have already invested as much in labor as you would to have the unit rebuilt or real close. Only difference being what parts get replaced. You can shop around for a new trans, a rebuilt unit or even a used one. Difference being price and labor to install. With close to 300,000 miles on it you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would be willing to just replace the reaction carrier in the trans, because the clutches and many other parts are going to be so worn at this mileage that no one will be willing to stand behind the repair. The best and fastest would be a used trans, but then you have to hope you bought a good one. If you check with local GM dealers, many times you can get what is called a SERTA, which is a re manufactured unit from GM with the same or sometimes an even better warranty than a new one. The labor to install is going to be about the same if you go used, re man or new. With aXXXXXyour looking at 6 to 8 hours labor at what ever the going rate in your area is, just to replace the thing. A good used one will run you a grand or close, depending on the miles on it, etc and a re man around 1500, new closer to 2500. To install either a re man or new is going to run you between 2500 & 3000 out the door. Even a use one will be a grand to 1500 out the door. And I have to feel it would be that much if you found someone who would just replace the sun reaction shell. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but there is no good way to deliver bad news that I am aware of. I will post the bulletin below for you. Wishing you luck, which ever way you decide to go. Thanks

#00-07-30-022D: No Reverse, Second Gear or Fourth Gear (Replace Reaction Sun Shell with More Robust Heat Treated Parts) - (Jun 10, 2008)

Subject:No Reverse, Second Gear or Fourth Gear (Replace Reaction Sun Shell with More Robust Heat Treated Parts)

Models:1993-2005 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2003-2005 HUMMER H2
with 4L60/65-E Automatic Transmission (RPOs M30 or M32)

This bulletin is being revised to add 2005 model year to the parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-07-30-022C (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a no reverse, no second or no fourth gear condition. First and third gears will operate properly.

Cause

The reaction sun gear (673) may not hold inside the reaction sun shell (670).

Correction

Important:

There are FOUR distinct groups of vehicles and repair procedures involved.

Vehicles built in the 2001 model year and prior that make use of a reaction shaft to shell thrust washer:
The sun shell can be identified by four square holes used to retain the thrust washer. Use reaction sun shell P/N 24228345 , reaction carrier to shell thrust washer (699B) P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNand reaction sun gear shell thrust washer (674) P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNalong with the appropriate seals and washers listed below.
Vehicles built in the 2001 model year and prior that have had previous service to the reaction sun shell:
It is possible that some 2001 and prior model year vehicles have had previous service to the reaction sun shell. At the time of service, these vehicles may have been updated with a Reaction Sun Shell Kit (Refer to Service Bulletin 02-07-30-003) without four square holes to retain the thrust washer. If it is found in a 2001 model year and prior vehicles that the reaction sun shell DOES NOT have four square holes to retain the thrust washer, these vehicles must be serviced with P/Ns 24229825 (674), 24217328 and(NNN) NNN-NNNNalong with the appropriate seals and washers listed below.
Vehicles built in the 2001 model year and later that make use of a reaction shaft to shell thrust bearing:
The sun shell can be identified by no holes to retain the thrust washer. Use reaction sun shell, P/N 24229825, reaction carrier shaft to shell thrust bearing (669A), P/N 24217328 and reaction sun gear shell thrust washer (674), P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNalong with the appropriate seals and washers listed below.
Vehicles built from November, 2001 through June, 2002:
These vehicles should have the reaction carrier shaft replaced when the sun shell is replaced. Use shell kit P/N 24229853, which contains a sun shell (670), a reaction carrier shaft (666), a reaction carrier shaft to shell thrust bearing (669A) and a reaction sun gear shell thrust washer (674). The appropriate seals and washers listed below should also be used.

When servicing the transmission as a result of this condition, the transmission oil cooler and lines MUST be flushed. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 02-07-30-052.

Follow the service procedure below for diagnosis and correction of the no reverse, no second, no forth condition.

Important: If metallic debris is found on the transmission magnet, the transmission must be completely disassembled and cleaned. Metallic debris is defined as broken parts and pieces of internal transmission components. This should not be confused with typical "normal" fine particles found on all transmission magnets. Failure to properly clean the transmission case and internal components may lead to additional repeat repairs.

1. Remove the transmission oil pan and inspect the magnet in the bottom of the pan for metal debris. Refer to SI Document ID #825141.
  2. Remove the transmission from the vehicle. Refer to the appropriate SI document.

Important:

Inspect all the transmission components for damage or wear. Replace all damaged or worn components. The parts list below should be sufficient to correct this concern.
    This condition does not normally require replacement of the transmission completely. Components such as clutches, valve body, pump and torque converters will NOT require replacement to correct this condition.

3. Disassemble the transmission and replace the appropriate parts listed below. Refer to the Unit Repair Manual - Repair Instructions.
    Object Number: 814470  Size: LF

(666)reaction carrier shaft
    (669)reaction shaft thrust washer / bearing
    (670)reaction sun shell
    (674)reaction shell thrust washer
  4. Reinstall the transmission in the vehicle. Refer to appropriate service information.
  5. When servicing the transmission as a result of this condition, the transmission oil cooler and lines MUST be flushed. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 02-07-30-052.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey bob, seems very helpfull and thoroughly researched, however before I accept, can you tell me if a 4L60 E transmission out of a 1996 chevy will fit my truck? No more hoops I promise bob, just don't want to pay another nine bucks for that. Thank You!
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.

Hate to say it but no. Won't work. The 4L60E and the 4L80E are similar and these trucks came with both units. Problem being the changes in electronics between 96 and 2000. They are programed differently and the solenoids and internal electronic components are not the same. I don't think the wiring harness connectors will even interchange. The did make a 4L60 and a 4L80 that did not have the "E" on the end. These were not electronic. So there are some differences. A non electronic won't shift right, etc. in a truck set up for an electronic. Some info to help you with identification posted below. Thanks

Transmission Identification Information
Object Number: 458638  Size: LF

(1)(0 = 2000)
(2)Model
(3)Hydra-Matic 4L60-E
(4)Julian Date (or Day of the Year)
(5)Shift Built (A, B, J = First Shift; C, H, W = Second Shift)
(6)Serial Number
(7)Transmission ID Location
(7)Transmission ID Location
(8)Optional Transmission ID Location

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)