Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Truck Technician,24 Years GM Shop Foreman,Fully Trained GM Trucks Light and Heavy.

96 CHEVY: HEADLIGHTS ARE DIM..DIM OR BRIGHT NOT MUCH BRIGHTER

Customer Question

THE HEADLIGHTS ARE DIM ON A 96 CHEVY S-10 PICK UP ON DIM OR BRIGHT NOT MUCH BRIGHTER THAN THE RUNNING LIGHTS.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Normally, when the headlights are dim, yet still function, this is a sign of A bad ground.First thing I would look at is the insides of the radiator support, there should be A ground on either side of the radiator, you also want to make sure the ground from the battery, to the body is ok. I think you will find your problem in one of these areas.Good luck...Gary
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED THESE THINGS WHEN I CHECKED THE WIRING I THOUGHT THERE MIGHT HAVE A RELAY OF SOME KIND THAT WASN"T WORKING SO THIS ANSWER IS NO HELP SO I DON"T ACCEPT THIS FOR A REPAIR ON THE TRUCK,IS THERE ANY THING ELSE TO CHECK,THANKS JIMMY.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
Ok ,please tell me what the resistance is on the ground wire in the headlamp connector. It should be .03 ohms, or less.If it is any higher, you have A bad ground. You should have 12.0 volts or greater at either the high beam, or low beam wire,depending on which is selected.If you do not have appropriate power , or ground, this will lead you in the correct direction, to pinpoint the problem.If the power was wrong coming from the dimmer switch, or the circut breakers, you would not be able to change low, or high beam, or for that matter, have ant headlight at all , no matter how dim.If you still feel the ground is good, I will look for a schematic to give to you.please let me know.Thank you...Gary
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ALL THE SPECS CHECK GOOD THAT YOU HAVE LISTED. . IT HAS SEALED BEAMS IN IT NOW,I EVEN BOUGHT NEW AFTER MARKET WITH THE HOUSING THAT THE BULB YOU CAN CHANGE OUT IN THE HOUSING BUT THEY ARE NOT ANY BETTER. I AM 62 YEARS OLD AND WORKED ON CARS ABOUT ALL MY LIFE AND I HAVE NOT SAW A PROBLEM LIKE THIS BEFORE. I AM SORRY BUT I CANT EXCEPT THIS AS A REPAIR TO MY PROBLEM SO I DONT EXCEPT IT. BUT THANKS FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE- JIMMY.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
understand, if there is anything else I can do, please ask.Thank you...Gary