GM-Frank
GM-Frank, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  37 Years Automotive Diagnosis and Repair. 25 Years of General Motors Dealer Experience
10184299

2001 chevy: wire connector..silverado 4x4..z71..wire diagram

Customer Question

I have a wire connector hanging loose on my 2001 chev silverado 4x4 z71 and can't find the connector it goes to wire diagram would likely be helpful
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I have the wiring diagrams for your vehicle here, but I will need a bit of help from you.

Please give me some details and I'll try to help. I need to know exactly how many wires are leading to the connector? Exactly what color are the wires? GM color codes all wiring. with either a solid wire color or a solid wire color with a thin secondary color known as a tracer.

This mean you may see a Solid Black wire, and another wire may be Blue with a yellow tracer.

If at all possible, also tell me how many pins there are at the connector. Such as a 8 pin connector...rectangular in shape...with 2 rows of 4 pins.

I should be able to help if you can tell me this information.

It is also important to know the location of this harness and connector. Is it under the dash left of the steering column?

Please let me know everything you can, and I'll be happy to help.

Frank

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The wire is under the hood on the left side the connector is gray in color the wires going in are on a smaller connector and are 1solid black and 1 orange I found this loose connector when I got a braking viberation from the right front wheel I pulled both front wheels and checked the brake pads and rotors all looked good
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The gray connector has 2 male prongs can't find where gray connector goes
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

OKCustomer

I just saw the post about the 2 male prongs. This may take some time, but let's find this for you.

Let's see if I can find anything that can get us a little closer.

I'll assume that you are viewing the wires and connector while under the wheel well while you were inspecting the vehicle with the wheels off. And the left side would be the drivers side.

I'm not sure if you are telling me that the vibration and wiring connector are related or not, but let me get you some information that may get us closer.

Below is the shape of one of the Electronic Brake Control Module connectors. Although this shows a Red wire and a Black wire, can you tell me if this is the correct shape?

graphic

This connector goes to the Electronic Brake Control Module.

Are there 2 pins at the connector or are there more than 2 connector cavities?

I am searching for additional pics that may help us.

Frank

Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

Still working on this...will send more shortly.

Is it near this area?

graphic

Frank

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the gray connector has 4 pins
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

OK,

So we have a 4 pin Grey connector. with only 2 wires going to it. A Red and a Black wire. can be seen Near the drivers side wheel well area

IS the 4 pin connector square or flat?

Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

We may be getting closer.

How about this view?

graphic

Let me know if this helps.

Frank

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
gray connector is 2.5 in square by 1.5 in deep pins are about1/4 wide
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

Did last pic I sent you show the correct area. Or is the one with the master cylinder closer?

It's the graphic with the frame and wiring.

I'm attempting to determine if we are looking at a electronic suspension, or Anti-lock Brake or possibly even a trailer harness connector hanging down.

Frank

Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

Here's another view of connectors nearer the left front.

graphic

Frank

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the diagram you sent is for a 25 series 3/4 ton

mine is 1500 series 1/2 ton 4x4 master cylinder area is closer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the gray connector is within reach of the main fuse panel if this helps
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

Yes,

I realize yours is a 1/2 T. That was the closest pic I had from that angle. Was trying to home in on the exact position of the connector we are looking for.

The 4 pin square shaped connector with only 2 pins being used. Wires are Red and the other Black. Close to the Master Cylinder.

GM can do this to us. They can include the connectors for some options that aren't even available on your truck.

I'm leaning toward the connector that leads to the Rear Suspension Compressor Relay for vehicles with the rear air suspension.....that relay is usually mounted below the master cylinder.

The problem I'm finding is that there are snowplow options, camper options and several other options that may make this very difficult to pin down.

I'll do a bit more research, and If necessary, I will opt out to allow others to lend their assistance. I knew this might be a tough one to find when I started, but I wanted to see if we could isolate this for you as quickly as possible.

Here is another graphic that may help.

graphic

graphic

Frank

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i don't see anything on the last 2 diagrams that help maybe i should take the truck to a mechanic to look at my decriptions aren't very good
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

WellCustomer

I know that you are doing the best that you can to describe this to me, and sometimes there are just things that can't be done via long distance. I have gone through all of the connectors in that area of your truck, and I can't find anything that matches your description.

I am currently going through every single connector my database shows me that are in the area you have described. I'll let you know shortly.

Frank

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for trying
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

You are very welcome. I am sorry I could not be of more assistance.

I'll be happy to opt out and allow others to try to help if you wish.

I'm even thinking that there is a chance that something possibly aftermarket may be

there, that my database would not show anyway. But yes, I did put out my best effort for you.

Take Care

Frank