Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering

My 97 chevy s-10 blazer is overheating. My top hose has alot

Customer Question

My 97 chevy s-10 blazer is overheating. My top hose has alot of pressure on it and the water in the radiator runs out of my overflow resorvoire. The last time it did it the water has a rust color and there is no oil and water mix that i can tell. What could the problem be?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welome to Just, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There have been a few sevice bulletins that have to do with the coolant almost becoming like mud. You might want to have the radiator boiled out. Here is what the bulletin says.

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 99-06-02-012D

Date: April, 2002

Rust in Cooling System, Heater Inoperative, Blows Cold Air, Engine Overheats (Flush Cooling System)

1996-2000 Chevrolet and GMC S/T Models (Blazer, Jimmy, Sonoma, S10 Pickup)
1998-2000 GMC Envoy
1996-2000 Oldsmobile Bravada
with 4.3L V6 Engine (VINs W, X - RPOs L35, LF6)

This bulletin is being revised to include additional model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-06-02-012C (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Some customers may comment that the heater is inoperative, blows cold air, engine may exhibit an overheat condition or the coolant reservoir has rust in it.

Vehicles equipped with DEX-COOL(R) coolant, which may have been operated for extended periods of time with a low coolant level, usually in excess of 32,000 km (20,000 mi), may be susceptible to the formation of a rust-like material in the cooling system.