goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
5720312

Hi! I have 97 GMC 2500 , 6.5 Turbo Diesel.It dies after its

Hi! I have 97 GMC 2500 , 6.5 Turbo Diesel.It dies after its starts,only when engine is cold.it will run about a 1 min,and dies.But when its warm up,it will run forever.Even 3 hour after driving around if its little bet warm too.Do You have any advice for me? Please
Category: Chevy
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and welcome. when it is cold and you start it, after it stalls, is it hard to restart again or does it start right back up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well,its start buck up after when I turn the ignition on,and wait to start light shut of,and fuel pump stops pumping.and when engine die,there is No shaking no other noises,ckicks,its just stall.

Also i did diagnostic,and it didn't show any codes.

Ok, there is a couple of possibilties here. one the fuel supply is drawing air into the fuel system, but normally when this happens the engine will be hard to start. you can some visible inspections for this type of problem. make a visible inpection for any fuel leaks at all the fuel hoses, fuel filter area. also make sure all the fuel lines are ok, no cracking or splitting. the other problem and more common is the fuel driver module mounted on the side of the ijection pump. here is some info on this concern from GM.

SUBJECT: NO START, STALL, DTC 35 (1994-95 MODEL YEARS) OR P1216 (1996-98 MODEL YEARS) MAY BE PRESENT (CURRENT OR IN HISTORY) (REPLACE FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER)

MODELS: 1994-98 CHEVROLET, GMC C/K, G, P, AND B MODELS WITH 6.5L DIESEL ENGINE (VINS P, S, Y, F - RPOS L49, L56, L57-EFI, L65, L65-CMT)

CONDITION:

SOME OWNERS MAY COMMENT OF A NO START, STALL. A DTC 35 (1994-1995 MODEL YEARS) OR P1216 (1996-1998 MODEL YEARS) MAY SET.

CAUSE:

THE MOST LIKELY CAUSE IS A FAILED FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER, LOCATED ON THE SIDE OF THE FUEL INJECTION PUMP.

CORRECTION:

REPLACE THE FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER, AFTER COMPLETING THE FOLLOWING STEPS:

1. CHECK THE FUEL SYSTEM FOR AIR, FUEL PRESSURE AND FUEL FLOW. REFER TO ENGINE CONTROLS IN THE 1998 MODEL YEAR SERVICE MANUAL FOR ALL MODEL YEARS.

2. CHECK POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) AND INJECTION PUMP WIRING HARNESS' FOR CHAFFING, AND/OR LOOSE TERMINALS AT THE PCM CONNECTOR, 15 PIN CONNECTOR, INJECTION PUMP CONNECTOR AND FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER CONNECTOR. REFER TO ENGINE CONTROLS IN THE 1998 SERVICE MANUAL FOR ALL MODEL YEARS.

3. CHECK ALL ENGINE AND VEHICLE WIRING HARNESS GROUNDS. REFER TO ENGINE CONTROLS IN THE 1998 SERVICE MANUAL FOR ALL MODEL YEARS.

4. CHECK FOR LOSS OF IGNITION VOLTAGE ON CIRCUIT 339 AT THE FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER CONNECTION TO THE INJECTION PUMP. REFER TO ENGINE CONTROLS IN THE 1998 SERVICE MANUAL FOR ALL MODEL YEARS.

5. VERIFY THAT THE CONDITION IS STILL PRESENT: A. IF THE CONDITION IS NO LONGER PRESENT, THE VEHICLE IS REPAIRED. B. IF THE CONDITION IS STILL PRESENT, AND THERE ARE ACTIVE DTC'S SET, GO TO STEP 6. C. IF THE CONDITION IS STILL PRESENT, AND THERE ARE NO ACTIVE DTC'S SET, GO TO STEP 7.

6. FOR ACTIVE DTC'S 35 OR P1216, REFER TO ENGINE CONTROLS IN THE 1998 SERVICE MANUAL FOR ALL MODEL YEARS. IF THE DTC DIAGNOSTIC TABLE FLOW CHART DIRECTS YOU TO REPLACE THE INJECTION PUMP, REPLACE THE FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER ONLY. GO TO STEP 9.

7. FOR STALL CONDITION, DISCONNECT THE OPTICAL SENSOR AND OPERATE THE ENGINE IN BACK UP FUEL (YOU MAY EXPERIENCE AN EXTENDED CRANK TIME DURING ENGINE START - THIS IS NORMAL). IF THE CONDITION IS STILL PRESENT, REPLACE THE FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER ONLY. GO TO STEP 9.

8. FOR A NO START CONDITION, CHECK INJECTION PULSE WIDTH WITH A TECH 1 (1994-1995) OR FUEL SOLENOID CLOSURE TIME WITH A TECH 2 (1996-1998) WHILE CRANKING THE ENGINE (ENSURE THAT THE BATTERIES ARE FULLY CHARGED AND ENGINE CRANKING SPEED IS AT LEAST 100 RPM DURING TEST). IF THE CLOSURE TIME IS 1.95MS (1994-1995) OR 0.01MS (1996-1998), REPLACE THE FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER. GO TO STEP 9.

9. REPLACE FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER. A. REMOVE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD TO GAIN ACCESS TO FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER (ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE INJECTION PUMP). REFER TO ENGINE MECHANICAL IN THE 1998 MODEL YEAR SERVICE MANUAL FOR ALL MODEL YEARS. B. SCRIBE A REFERENCE MARK ON THE ENGINE FRONT COVER AND THE INJECTION PUMP HOUSING TO ASSIST IN CORRECTLY LOCATING THE INJECTION PUMP DURING REASSEMBLY. C. LOOSEN THE INJECTION PUMP RETAINING NUTS APPROXIMATELY 1/2 TURN, USING INJECTION PUMP TIMING WRENCH J 41089 OR J 41711 (DO NOT REMOVE THE NUTS). D. ROTATE THE PUMP TO THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE VEHICLE UNTIL IT STOPS, USING INJECTION PUMP ADJUSTING TOOL J 33042, AND RE-TIGHTEN THE TOP INJECTION PUMP RETAINING NUT, USING INJECTION PUMP TIMING WRENCH J 41089 OR J 41711. E. DISCONNECT THE FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER WIRING CONNECTOR AT THE INJECTION PUMP. F. LOOSEN THE FOUR FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER MOUNTING SCREWS UNTIL FREE OF THE INJECTION PUMP HOUSING, USING A T15 TORX BIT. (FIGURE 1). G. REMOVE THE FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER, HEAT TRANSFER PAD AND MOUNTING SCREWS FROM THE INJECTION PUMP. DISCARD THE HEAT TRANSFER PAD AND MOUNTING SCREWS. H. REMOVE THE FUEL SOLENOID DRIVER CALIBRATING RESISTOR USING SNAP RING PLIERS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I check about FSD ,some companies selling with extenshion and cooler,You think this is good idea?

yes, the fuel sol. driver has had some know problems on these engines. and are tempature sensitive. basically if you know you dont have any fuel leaks, which I doupt because you dont have a hard start condition. you have already replaced the lift pump. you are pretty much down to the injection pump or fuel driver. by the symtons, the FSD is more likely your fault.
Experience: Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank You!