Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

what is involved in replacing the water pump on 98 S10 V6/

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

This will require removal of the fan shroud and the fan clutch for the most part. The fan clutch is tricky due to the fact that you need a fan clutch removal tool to unthread it from the waterpump hub. Here is what you will be getting into.

1. Drain the coolant from the radiator..
  2. Remove the drive belt.
  3. Remove the upper fan shroud.
  4. Remove the air inlet duct.
    Object Number: 180301  Size: SH

5. Remove the upper fan shroud screws.
  6. Disconnect the evaporator line tubing from the upper fan shroud.
  7. Remove the upper fan shroud.
  8. Remove the cooling fan and clutch assembly.
  9. Important: To maintain a balanced fan assembly, align the yellow paint mark on the fan clutch hub with the yellow paint mark on the water pump hub.
    Object Number: 42910  Size: SH

10. Remove the fan clutch from the coolant pump using J 41240 .
  11. 2.1. Install J 41240-1 into the water pump access holes.
  12. 2.2. With J 41240-2 secure on the fan clutch nut, hold J 41240-1 firmly in place while turning J 41240-2 counter-clockwise.
  13. Remove the fan and the fan clutch as an assembly.

14. Object Number: 42879  Size: SH

15. Remove the water pump drive pulley.
  16. Loosen the radiator outlet hose clamp.
  17. Remove radiator outlet hose from the water pump.
    Object Number: 42880  Size: SH

18. Remove the water pump attaching bolts.
    Object Number: 42882  Size: SH

19. Remove the water pump from the engine.
    Object Number: 42884  Size: SH

20. Remove the water pump gaskets.
  21. Ensure that all mating surfaces are clean and free of gasket material or burrs.

22. Object Number: 42884  Size: SH
  23. Install the water pump gaskets.
    Object Number: 42882  Size: SH

24. Install the water pump to the engine.
  25. Apply a sealer (GM P/N 12346004) to the bolt threads.
    Object Number: 42880  Size: SH

26. Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
  27. Install the water pump attaching bolts.
  28. Tighten
    Tighten the attaching bolts to 41 N·m (30 lb ft).
  29. Place the radiator outlet hose clamp loosely on the end of the hose.
  30. Connect the radiator outlet hose to the water pump.
  31. Tighten the radiator hose clamp.
  32. Tighten
    Tighten the clamp to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).

33. Object Number: 42879  Size: SH

34. Install the water pump drive pulley.
  35. Install the fan clutch.
  36. Install the cooling fan.
  37. Install the multiple ribbed accessory drive belt.
  38. Install the upper fan shroud.
  39. Fill the radiator with the specified coolant and concentration.
  40. Inspect the cooling system for leaks.