Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

my 99 chevy suburban wont crank all the dash lights work.when

Customer Question

my 99 chevy suburban wont crank all the dash lights work.when i turn the key nothing happens. the one thing that i noticed was that the light on the gear selector turns of when the key is in the on position .
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.

If you are sure the battery is good and fully charged and the cable connections are all good. You will need to check for voltage at the small purple wire on the starter solenoid while some one engages the starter. If you have good voltage at the purple wire and at the large battery terminal both, you will need to replace the starter. If you do not have voltage at the purple wire let me know so we can test the starting system and find where the problem is. I will need to know if it is a standard shift or an automatic. But be sure to check to see if you have any theft or security lights coming on, on the dash first. It may be an issue with the security system also. Thanks, Bob

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
battery still good and i just drove the truck about an hour before i went out to start it and nothing happened
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the accept, let me know what you find or do not find. Use a 12 volt test light for testing, they work best. Will be here a while if you need me. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the truck is a automatic
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
Do you have power at the purple wire on the solenoid when someone turns the key to the crank position? Or is the security or theft light coming on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the security light only stays on for three seconds. i have not checked the purple wire yet i need to lift up the truck so i can get to it
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
Very good. When you check the wire, if it has power and the starter won't enhage, have some one hold it in the crank position and give the starter housing a good smack with a hammer or something, be sure to hit it on the housing. Sometimes this will get them to work again for a short time, if the brushes are stuck etc. Let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
starter tested to b good
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
Did you have voltage to that wire I asked you to check? If you did and the starter doesn't crank., the problem is in the starter. If you did not have voltage there, then we need to test the rest of the system from the end of that wire, through the nuetral safety switch and the ignition switch. How did you verify that the starter is good?Let me know, thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
took it off and went to AUTOZONE and we tested it . there r only 2 wires connecting the starter on fat one that has current and a small one
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
The small one is the one we care about. The fat one is the battery cable. Sometimes a starter will test fine off of the motor, but not work when a load is put to it, like when cranking. That is why we need to know if there is voltage at the small one when the key is turned to the crank position or not. If there is not voltage going to that wire when you turn the key to crank, then we have an open circuit between the starter and the ignition switch. If it is an automatic, it could be the nuetral safety switch or the ignition switch or a possible relay. But, if both the fat wire and the small one have 12 volts going to them when you turn the key to crank, then the problem is still in the starter. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have no power to the small wire
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.

OK, that's what we needed to know. That means that there is an open circuit between the ignition switch and that wire where it connects to the starter. Under the hood, there is a fuse box mounted on the fender. In it is a starter relay, that may or may not be the problem. If you look around there may be another relay that is the same configuration, if so, swap them and see if that helps. And you can jumper terminal 87 to 30 with the relay out and see if that makes it crank. If so, the relay is bad. Terminal 65 is a ground. The wire colors on we care about are 87=purple, 85=black, 50= red. If that does not help, check the crank fuse in the instrument panel fuse box. Fuse number 8, it is a 10 amp and will also stop the starter circuit from working. Next is the nuetral safety switch, which is also known as the back up lamp or range switch. Located on the side of the transmission, the shift linkage going into the transmission is where it is at. Slips over the stub going into the trans case. Check it in park and in nuetral both, to see if the starter will crank, try wiggling the gear shift in nuetral and park. Purple wire, (may have a white stripe) for power from ignition when key on crank, purple going out to solenoid. If both purple are hot when turning key to crank, switch is ok. If no power to either, go to ignition switch to test. Remove the cover under the dash at steering column and check the big red wire for power into the ignition switch from the battery, when you turn the key to crank, should get power to the yellow wire that goes to the relay and solenoid. If all of this checks ok, then you have a broken wire in the system and we will need an ohm meter to check them all for continuity. You may also want to check for any other bad fuses in all of the fuse boxes as sometimes a fuse for another circuit that you would never suspect, will cause a back feed and make a problem for a circuit it should not even be related to. Let me know what you find and we will go from there. Also sending a copy of the wiring diagram for the starter circuit. Also a flow chart, note the blue high lights will not open for you. GM access only. Thanks

Starter Controls
Object Number: 362222  Size: FS

Starter Solenoid Does Not Click

Step

Action

Value(s)

Yes

No

1

1. Place the transmission in park (A/T) or actuate the clutch pedal (M/T).
  2. Move the ignition switch to the START position.
  3. Measure the voltage between the starter solenoid terminal S, CKT 6 (PPL) and an engine ground.

Is the voltage reading the same as the battery voltage?

--

Go to Step 13

Go to Step 2

2

1. Remove the starter relay from the underhood fuse block.
  2. Connect a J 35616-200 test lamp from the starter relay socket cavity 30 to ground.

Does the test lamp light?

--

Go to Step 3

Go to Step 14

3

Connect a jumper wire between cavity 30 and 87 of the starter relay socket.

Does the starter solenoid click?

--

Go to Step 4

Go to Step 15

4

1. Connect CKT 6 (PPL) at the starter solenoid.
  2. Connect a J 35616-200 test lamp between starter relay socket cavity 85 to B+.

Does the test lamp light?

--

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 16

5

3. Measure the voltage between the starter relay socket cavity 86 and 85.

--

Go to Step 17

Go to Step 6

6

Is the vehicle equipped with a manual transmission?

--

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 9

7

1. Disconnect the clutch pedal position switch connector.
  3. Measure the voltage between the clutch pedal position switch connector cavity A, CKT 806 (PPL), to ground.

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 11

8

1. Engage the parking brake.
  2. Actuate the clutch pedal and place the transmission in neutral.
  3. Connect a fused jumper between the clutch pedal position switch connector cavity A, CKT 806 (PPL), to cavity C, CKT 1035 (PPL/WHT).
  4. Move the ignition switch to the START position.

Does the engine crank?

--

Go to Step 18

Go to Step 19

9

1. Disconnect the transmission range switch connector.
  3. Measure the voltage between the transmission range switch connector C1 cavity E, CKT 806 (PPL), to ground.

--

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 11

10

1. Connect a fused jumper between transmission range switch connector C1 cavity E, CKT 806 (PPL), to cavity G, CKT 1035 (PPL/WHT).

Does the engine crank?

--

--

Go to Step 20

Go to Step 21

11

1. Move the ignition switch to the START position.
  2. Measure the voltage between the ignition switch connector C266 cavity D1, CKT 5 (YEL), to ground.

--

Go to Step 22

Go to Step 12

12

Measure the voltage between the connector C266 cavity D5 and ground.

--

Go to Step 23

Go to Step 24

13

1. Clean the starter motor, the starter motor mounting surfaces, and the mounting bolts. Refer to Starter Motor Inspection .
  2. Repeat the test.

If the starter motor does not pass the test, replace the starter motor.

Is the repair or replacement complete?

--

Go to Starting System Check

--

14

Install the starter relay and repair the open in CKT 244 (RED) between fuse 6 and the starter relay. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?

--

Go to Starting System Check

--

15

Install the starter relay and repair the open in CKT 6 (PPL) between the starter relay and the starter solenoid. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?

--

Go to Starting System Check

--

16

Install the starter relay and repair the open in CKT 150 (BLK) between the starter relay and ground G105. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?

--

Go to Starting System Check

--

17

Replace the starter relay.

Is the replacement complete?

--

Go to Starting System Check

--

18

1. Adjust the clutch pedal position switch.
  2. Retest the system.
  3. If the starter motor does not operate, replace the clutch pedal position switch. Refer to Clutch Pedal Engine Start Switch Replacement in Transmission/Transaxle.

Is the repair or replacement complete?

--

Go to Starting System Check

--

19

Repair the open in CKT 1035 (PPL) between the clutch pedal position switch and the starter relay. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?

Go to Starting System Check

--

20

Replace the transmission range switch. Refer to Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement (4L60-E) or Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement (4L80-E)in Transmission/Transaxle.

Is the replacement complete?

--

Go to Starting System Check

--

21

Repair the open in CKT 5 (YEL) between the transmission range switch and the starter relay. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?

--

Go to Starting System Check

--

22

1. Check for an open in CKT 5 (YEL) between the ignition switch and the IP fuse block.
  2. If OK, repair the open in CKT 806 (PPL) between the IP fuse block and the clutch pedal position switch (M/T) or the transmission range switch (A/T). Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair or replacement complete?

--

Go to Starting System Check

--

23

Replace the ignition switch. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle (Standard Column) or Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle (Tilt Column)in Steering Systems.

Is the replacement complete?

--

Go to Starting System Check

--

24

Repair the open in CKT 242 (RED) between the ignition switch and the underhood fuse block. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the replacement complete?

--

Go to Starting System Check

--

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it seems that the nuetral safty switch is the problem both realy's are brand new so that is my last resort. also i have hit the ACCEPT button every time so i hope you get paid
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it shows up with an accept, which I really appreciate. Thanks. You can always jumper wire around the nuetral switch to see if that make it works or not, too. Let me know. It has been a bugger, but will be well worth it to have it working correctly again. Thanks for using JA, also. Wish you well with it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i just got done rebuilding the motor and the suburban is in mint condition and it just wouldnt start and that made me mad
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
Sounds like Murphy's law at work. I would also have been pretty upset after doing all of that work. But, once you get it done, you will always remember the little small inexpensive piece of ----- ---- ! That gave you so much trouble after the rebuild. Sure hope it runs out nice for you. Has been a pleasure helping you. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
truck still wont start . i remember that you had asked me if there was a security light on in the dash . the light only stayes on for 5 seconds when i turn the key on then it turns off but when i take out the fuse the light stay's on . i still dont have any power to the small wire on the starter. now what do i do
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.

I am going to send you the procedure for reprograming the pass lock system on the truck, just on the off chance that it is cause the problem. Then in another post, I will send you the flow chart on the starter system. If it is not the pass lock, it has to be an open circuit between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid, which is why I send you so many instructions on seeing where there is power and where there is not. Example, if you have power into the nuetral safety switch and none out, then it is the switch. Try the reprogram and let me know. OOps, see I already sent you the flow chart. Let me know where it had power and where it did not, so I know where your at.

• Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the CRANK position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the RUN position (Do NOT key OFF in the process).
  • Wait 10 minutes. Observe the SECURITY indicator. Refer to the following list for the appropriate responses:
    If the passlockTM sensor was replaced the SECURITY indicator will flash for the 10 minutes duration.
    If the EVO/passlockTM module was replaced, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the remainder of the 10 minutes duration.
    If the VCM/PCM was replaced with a new programmed VCM/PCM and connected to the vehicle for the first time, the vehicle will start and this procedure may not be necessary.
    If the replacement VCM/PCM was connected to any vehicle at any other time, even momentarily, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the 10 minutes duration.
  • The SECURITY indicator will transition from flashing to ON briefly to OFF after 10 minutes if remaining in the ignition ON position.
  • Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 10 seconds.
  • Repeat steps 3-6 two more times. The new security code is ready to be communicated among the Passlock sensor, EVO/Passlock module and VCM/PCM. The new password XXXXX XXXXX on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from OFF to CRANK to ON (start attempt).
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    do i move the ignition back and forth or just once to the cranck and to the run position and if i move it bac and forth how long do i do that for
    Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
    Turn it on and just hit the crank osition and let go of the key so it stays on the run position. Let it set for 10 minutes, then turn it off. Wait 10 seconds and turn it back on and wait 10 minutes. Repeat for a total of 3 times, On the next teim, just crank it and if that was the problem it should start. The new password XXXXX XXXXX on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from OFF to CRANK to ON (start attempt).