Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications

2001 buick regal: security light..the ignition switch..cylinder..bcm

Customer Question

i have a 2001 buick regal. the security light will flash at times and it will not turn over. the ignition switch and lock and cylinder have been replaced it is seting a bcm code of 2960.   i have found that if you turn on the park lamps on it will start every time and not set the security lamp, this car has daytime running lamps.can someone please help thank you in advance Alan.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Hi, have you had any other intermittent problems, like door locks not working briefly, interior lights malfunctioning, power windows acting up? Let me know and i will try to help you. Thanks ERic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO ALL THE OTHER POWER OPTIONS WORK IF THE SECURITY LAMP IS ON. IS IT A WAY TO BYPASS THE SECUTITY SYSTEM ON THIS CAR , OR CAN IT BE DONE WITH A TEC-2 SCANNER A FRIEND OF MINE HAS ONE.IF YOU CAN HELP ME WITH THIS CAR I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO PAY YOU THANKS ALAN. XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
There is no way to bypass the system even with the tech 2. You may have a problem with the bcm (body control module), especially since you have already had the passlock sensor and ignition switch replaced. The module requires a tech 2 scan tool to set up the new module and then a theft relearn will have to be performed. Let me know if i can help you further, Please click on accept if this has helped . thanks Eric
Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience: ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I HAVE A USED BCM MODULE. FROM THE EXACT SAME CAR. AND THE NUMBERS MATCH AS WELL HOW CAN I GET THE KEY CODE FOR THIS BCM I HAVE THE VIN NUMBER THE BCM CAME OFF OF BUT GM WILL NOT GIVE ME THE KEY CODE. OR THE RESISTANCE VALUE STORD IN THE BCM.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Okay, here is the theft relearn procedure you can try. Follow it exact. You still may have an issue though because you cant edit the vin number of the bcm to input yours. It is locked on most cars. You can attempt if with the tech 2 in bcm setup to see if it will let you change it. Probably not. So if this theft relearn wont start the car, then you need a new bcm, not a used one. But hey give it a shot first. Here is the relearn.

30 Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important: The vehicle learns the password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the password).
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).
  8. Let me know how it works out. Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANKS ERIC. THIS IS A VAT,S SECURITY SYSTEM NOT THE NEWER PASSLOCK TYPE OF SYSTEM. THIS IS A CHIP KEYA CHIP KEY SECURITY SYSTEM WITH A RESISTANCE VALUE . CODE GM # XXXXX THANKS ALAN
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

As long as you are not changing the lock cylinder it doesnt matter. The cylinder reads the key code, but the new bcm must relearn them also. Take, Care, thanks, Eric