Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

1965 chevy truck: Turn signal..my headlights my running or park lights

Turn signal problem with 1965 chevy truck. This just happened. Now when i turn on my headlights my running or park lights arent on, but when i just turn on the park lights they all work, and the turn signals alos arent working.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
On a 65, when you turn on the headlights, you should have headlights and rear tail lights and license plate light. When you turn on the park lights, you should have front park lights, rear tail lights and a license plate light. What is it the turn signals are or are not doing so we can try to help you with them? You did know that if the truck has hazard flashers also, that there are two different flasher assembles for it? One for the turn signals and one for the hazard lights. If you turn on the hazards and they work, listen for the noise from the flasher and find it that way, then you can switch the 2 flashers and see if the one for the hazards will make the turn signals work or not. This will verify if the flasher is the problem. Thanks
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I just went and bought a brand new flasher and when plugging it in it like goes nuts when i activate the turn signal all my gauges are jumping and the flasher is very hot so i removed it, looks like it melted my new fuse box just a little. PS the flasher sounds different from one side to the other and i dont have emergency flashers truck didnt come with it.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Ouch! Sounds like you have a major short in the system. If it starts to act up when you install the flasher and turn the key on, suspect it to be in the dash or steering column. If it only does it when you engage the signals, look either in the steering column harness or the wiring to the lights. If it has a trailer harness connector on it, check that real close too. It should blow the fuse before it melts anything, has the fuse been replaced with a larger one or something? You can also unplug the connector to the harness going up the steering column and see if it still acts up, that is one way to try to eliminate part of the harness. It may get to be a pains taking undertaking to trace the wiring. I will look, but doubt if I have a diagram of one that old.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It blew the stop light fuse, I replaced it though. Its funny everything was fine to i put the factory steering wheel back on it, the one that was on it didnt cancel the signals and this one has the 2 little arms comming down that cancel them out. Yep something is happening.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
If the problem did not start until you replaced the wheel, I think I would remove the wheel and see if that cures the problem, Maybe something in the horn contact or the cancel cam has shorted out when you installed the wheel? Just a thought.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would the turn signal switch inside the column do this if it went bad
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it sure could. It has a lot of brass contacts built into it and if one of them was hitting any metal or had dropped out of place that could very well cause a short, too.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wow, I took the steering wheel off and the signal are working again, I have no clue why this just happened. I new all my wiring is brand new. Something is going on with the contacts when i put the custom steering wheel in place.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Yes, then it has to be something that has to do with the way it sets on the top of the switch assembly when you tighten it down. Inspect the bottom of the wheel and the tabs that cancel the signals real close. And thanks for the update
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had recently found a brand new factory gm turn signal switch some folks have, Think i will buy it just in case i need it in the future. I put the other wheel on for now, I will inspect the tabs closely and see where they are causing the short. I will go ahead and accept. and i thank you for your time.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
You are more than welcome. Thanks for the accept and for using JA. Buying that other switch is a real good idea, just because parts for a 65 are getting so hard to find. Stuff like that is always good to have around, just in case. Thanks