Wrenchtech
Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner

How do i remove front axle on 96 cavalier

Customer Question

how do i remove front axle on 96 cavalier
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 5 years ago.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 19

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Remove the hub nut from the axle shaft and ...
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: ... the washer behind it
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Remove the brake caliper from the hub assembly and support it using mechanic's wire or another suitable device
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Remove the rotor from the hub assembly
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: The tie rod end must be removed from the hub assembly to allow the access needed to remove the halfshaft
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: Remove the cotter pin from the tie rod end and ...
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: ... remove the retaining nut from the tie rod end
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: A special puller is recommended for removing the tie rod end from the hub assembly without damaging the tie rod end
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: Remove the cotter pin from the lower ball joint and ...
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 10: ... using a wrench, loosen and remove the ball joint retaining nut
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 11: Use a suitable prytool to remove the lower ball joint/control arm from the hub assembly
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 12: Remove the tie rod end from the hub assembly
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 13: Detach the wheel speed sensor connector
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 14: A large punch can be used to drive the halfshaft out of the hub. Ensure that the punch is placed in the centering hole of the halfshaft and do not hit the threads of the halfshaft
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 15: Remove the halfshaft from the hub
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 16: A large prytool (although not recommended) can be used to release the halfshaft from the transaxle then ...
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 17: ... remove the halfshaft from the vehicle
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 18: Inspect the axle retaining ring located on the output shaft of the transaxle differential
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. With the weight of the vehicle still on the wheels, loosen, but do not remove the front hub nut. This may require an assistant holding the brakes to keep the front halfshaft from turning. It is good practice to wire-brush the exposed threads on the outer CV-joint stub shaft and apply a generous amount of penetrating oil before attempting to loosen the hub nut.
  3. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  4. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  5. Remove the hub nut and washer.
  6. Install the axle boot seal protector J-33162 or the equivalent on the right-hand inner boot, if equipped.
  7. Remove and support the brake caliper.
  8. Remove the brake rotor.
  9. Remove the lower ball joint cotter pin and nut and loosen the joint. If removing the right halfshaft, turn the wheel to the left. If removing the left halfshaft turn the wheel to the right.
  10. Disconnect the ABS sensor, if equipped.
  11. Separate the lower ball joint from the steering knuckle.
  12. Disengage the halfshaft stub end from the front wheel bearing and hub assembly using a suitable press-type tool, pressing until the halfshaft splines are just loose.

A hammer and a suitable punch can be used to drive the axle out of the hub.

1. Separate the hub and bearing assembly from the halfshaft. Move the strut and knuckle assembly rearward.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 19: To prevent damaging the transaxle or halfshaft, use the tools as shown to remove the halfshafts
  1. Separate the inner joint from the transaxle using the proper puller tools such as J-33008 and J-29764 or their equivalents.

A large prytool can be used to disengage the halfshaft from the transaxle. Care must be taken as to what is used to pry on for leverage, prying on the wrong item can cause damage.

1. Remove the halfshaft from the transaxle. Do not pull the halfshaft by the CV-joint boot or on the joint itself.
To install:
  1. Prior to installation, cover all sharp edges in the area of the halfshaft with shop towels so the CV-joint boots will be protected from damage. When a halfshaft is removed for any reason, the transaxle (the halfshaft male and female shank) and knuckle sealing surfaces should be inspected for debris and corrosion. If debris or corrosion are present, clean with 320 grit crocus cloth or equivalent. Transaxle fluid may be used to clean off any remaining debris. The surface should be wiped clean and dry before attempting to install the halfshaft.
  2. Install the halfshaft into the transaxle (or intermediate shaft, if equipped) by placing a brass drift pin into the groove on the joint housing and tapping until seated. Be careful not to damage the axle seal or dislodge the seal garter spring when installing the axle.

Be sure the halfshaft is fully engaged in the transaxle. Verify that the halfshaft is seated by grasping the inner joint housing and pulling outward. Do not pull on the shaft or the boot, but on the inner joint housing only.

1. Install the drive axle into the hub and bearing assembly.
  2. Install the lower ball joint to the steering knuckle. Tighten the ball joint-to-steering knuckle nut to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm) to install the cotter pin. Do not loosen the nut at any time during installation. Install a new cotter pin.
  3. Install the washer and a new hub nut. To keep the hub from turning while the hub nut is being torqued, insert a drift pin through the caliper opening into one of the ventilation openings in the brake rotor. This should lock the assembly together. Tighten the hub nut to 185 ft. lbs. (260 Nm).
  4. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Test drive vehicle to verify no front drive noise.