32dmadden
32dmadden, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified Master Technician, L-1 37 yrs. Auto Repair Experience
1361311

Just replaced the fuel pump in a 1994 Chevy Silverado 1500

Just replaced the fuel pump in a 1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 but the carburetor isn't getting any fuel. What now?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  32dmadden replied 5 years ago.
Are you sure you have a carb.? That model came with fuel injection. Where was the fuel pump that you replaced located? Most models came with T.B.I. fuel injection. The T.B.I. looks like a carb. but has two fuel injectors sticking out the top of it. Let me know the answer to my question and we will get you fixed up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
fuel pump located in fuel tank at the rear of the truck. yes we are sure it was the carb. thinking maybe a censor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
pressure that kicks on the fuel pump is fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when cranking engine we get juice to the fuel pump fuse and back to the electric connection above the fuel tank while oil pressure is up. wondering about another pressure sensor on carburetor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when cranking engine we get juice to the fuel pump fuse and back to the electric connection above the fuel tank while oil pressure is up. wondering about another pressure sensor on carburetor. fuel pump is located in the fuel tank at the rear of the truck
Expert:  32dmadden replied 5 years ago.
If what you think is a carb. looks like the diagram I sent it is a fuel injection. The thing you call a carb. is the throttle body. The injectors are on top pointing down the throttle body. If you had a carb the fuel pump would be a vacuum pump located on the side of the engine. Okay now for the no fuel problem. Do you have fuel coming out of the supply line at the fuel filter with the line disconnected? The engine must be turning over to get fuel. Check that there is 12 volts on the gray wire to the pump in the connector above the tank when cranking. Also make sure the ground wire ( black ) has a good ground. If you don't have the 12 volts on the gray wire let me know and we will check the relay and all of its inputs and outputs. I will send a wire diagram that should help too.graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we test lit the gray wire above fuel pump while cranking engine. dont know about 12 volt but the test light comes on. need to know why engine needs to be cranking to get juice when turning the key on should i should be hearing the pump turn on.
Expert:  32dmadden replied 5 years ago.
The pump will be turned on by the computer when the key is turned on. It will only run for three seconds if the oil pressure switch is not tripped. Okay you seem to be getting power on the supply voltage line to the pump. Next I want you to unplug the wire going to the fuel gauge so it is not in the circuit. Then while cranking put the light on the black or ground wire. If it stays light while cranking the ground is bad. If it never lights even just for a second check the ground wire to the pump inside the tank. I'll be waiting to hear from you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where do i disconnect the fuel gage wire. the tank is back on the truck. disconnected the 3 prong harness above the tank do i need to cut the wire up close to the frame
Expert:  32dmadden replied 5 years ago.
Usually I unplug the connector bye the tank. Then I use two jumper wires to connect the fuel pump power wire and the ground wire. This leaves the gauge out of the circuit. We do this because the gauge uses the same ground wire, so if it was in the circuit we wouldn't get a true reading of just the pump. Also you can try using the jumper wire to go to a good ground and see if the fuel pump starts running like it should. I will be off line for 2 to 3 hours so I'll catch you when I get back.
32dmadden, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Experience: A.S.E. Certified Master Technician, L-1 37 yrs. Auto Repair Experience