GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

1998 chevy tahoe: ac..actuator..drivers side..the passenger side, i

i have a 1998 chevy tahoe, the ac only blows hot air even thow the compressor is turning on , took it to a mechanic he said the temperature control actuator was bad i switched the lower on the drivers side ,is there also an upper one on the passenger side, i also took out the fuse for a minute ,still blowing hot . any suggestions
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

WelcomeCustomer The Temperature actuator is on the front of the case. You have to roll the instrument panel forward to replace it. The actuator on the lower left is the mode door and the upper right is the recirculation door. Here is the instructions for the actuator replacement. Please ask if you need more information.

• Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  • Roll forward the instrument panel.
    1. Remove the knee bolster.
    2. Remove the knee bolster reinforcement.
    3. Remove the knee deflector bracket.
    4. Remove the tubular tie bar from under the steering column.
    5. Remove the steering column.
      Object Number: 277093  Size: SH

6. Remove the IP storage compartment door.
      Object Number: 277090  Size: SH

7. Remove the 2 bolts from the PSIR bracket.
      Object Number: 277086  Size: SH

8. Remove the left and the right lower instrument panel pivot bolts.
      Object Number: 277087  Size: SH

9. Remove the center support screw.
    10. Pivot the instrument panel.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector from the temperature actuator that is located in the passenger compartment, on the front of the heater case.
    Object Number: 258026  Size: SH
  • Remove the screws.
  • Remove the actuator.
  • Adjust the actuator by completing the following steps:
    6.1. Connect the electrical connector to the actuator.
    6.2. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.

Allow the self-positioning of the actuator.

6.3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
    6.4. Remove the actuator from the electrical connection.
  • Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    is the temp control actuator behind the cluster , or is under the glove box side
    It should be behind the ash tray area or just to the right. I know the pictures don't give much detail, but that is what we have.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    the one to the left that is in plain sight is not the one to change, the other one i see is in front of the blower motor up under the glove box is that the one i am looking for, are they the only two
    No, there are 3. One for temp, one for mode and one for recirculation or Max AC. While looking at the one on the right turn the recirc or Max AC on. This one should move
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    so the one i need to change is behind ac control panel basically
    Basically, yes. It is in that center dash area.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    if it is by ash tray why would i have to remove cluster ,can you go from bottom?
    You have to roll the entire dash assembly back to gain access to this one. To roll the dash you need to remove the cluster and steering column.
    GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
    Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.