2004 Silverado 1500: my blower stopped working

Customer Question

I own a 2004 Silverado 1500. Similarly, my blower stopped working. However, it stopped all together. Upon inspection of the blower motor resistor terminal I noted a meltdown on a couple of the center wires. The harness suffered a serious meltdown. Is there a fault in the wiring or design that would be causing this? The fuses showed nothing abnormal. Some advice on preventing this and/or anything I should look for when I repair it would be appreciated.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
This is a common problem in this model. Such a problem in fact that gm has actually released a new style connector with larger leads. This seems to have fixed the problem. I would advise you to contact your local gm dealer and tell them what you are suffering from. The fix will be a new resistor and connector. Be prepared though as the connector is right around $100.00 alone. The resistor is ruffly $35.00. Feel free to contact me with any questions or problems! Good luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the information. I was also wanting to know about the repair. Should I just splice in the new larger connector and replace the resistor? If it's that easy then I certainly have no problem doing it myself. Otherwise, if this is an ordeal entialing removal of the dash to replace the wiring then I would rather have a technician do it. Thanks again for the quick response.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Sorry I was offline when you replied. This repair will simply require you to remove the blower motor resistor and splice on a new connector about 12 inches up the harness. There is no need to remove any parts of the dash. Feel free to contact me if you would like further directions! Good luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Your answers are helpful. I appreciate your time.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
I am glad to hear that I could assist you! This has been an ongoing problem with these trucks and the repair harness has seemed to fix this problem for now!