Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician also L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist
112340

2005 Monte Carlo: riveted bracket holding..I change the pcv?

Customer Question

On my 2005 Monte Carlo 3.4 there is a riveted bracket holding down my PCV. How do I change the PCV?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 8 years ago.
Hi!
Are you trying to change the PCV tube or the PCV valve itself?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am trying to change the PCV itself
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 8 years ago.
Ok,
The PCV on your motor shouldn't be held in place by a bracket. The tube going to the valve is held down by the throttle cable bracket, but you shouldn't have to remove this to get the PCV out. Here's a diagram:
graphic
The PCV is number 2 in the diagram. It's located on the front valve cover, driver's side. You should be able to just pull the tube off and pull the PCV from the rubber grommet in the valve cover.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This issue is specific to 2005 and newer. The diagram does not show it. It does not exist in 2004 or earlier. The bracket is a flat plate with a center hole with a diameter smaller than the pcv base. There are two rivets holding it down. one on either side
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 8 years ago.
Where on the engine are you looking for the PCV? The 3.4L GM motor was the same up until 2006 when they changed it to a 3.5. The PCV was located in the same spot on all the 3.4L motors. I can do some more research if you can tell me which part of the motor you are looking at.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

all is the same as the earlier motors. this appears to be added in 2005. I looked at a couple of 2004's. It has been retrofitted to 2005's. I found others asking the same question online but no answers. My Haynes manual covers 2000 to 2005 but doesn't show or mention the added bracket

Expert:  ttiger79 replied 8 years ago.
Ok,
I know nothing of this bracket, and I don't have any information on it. I will opt out so that someone else can help you out.
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
Okay this is Davo a new expert.If you really feel the need to change the pcv valve the only way it can be done is to buy the valve cover.It was done that way to avoid any aftermarket pcv valve being put in it's place.Emission reasons between GM and the EPA at thier finest.Don't worry though the pcv valve most likely isn't bad anyhow.If you are having a problem tell me and we can work it out.
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician also L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist