GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Replace the spare tire under the bed of a 2007 chevrolet silverado .

Customer Question

how do you replace the spare tire under the bed of a 2007 chevrolet silverado .I cant get the hoist assembly to lower
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

Hello, the tire maybe stuck to the under coating on the frame, try to gently pry the tire away from the frame and then try lowering it again. The spare tire hoist needs the weight of the tire on it to lower . Try that and let me know if it worked.

Thanks, John

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no.....i want to replace the spare tire back under truck i have already changed tire but cant get the part that holds tire to come back down to replace spare the cable comes down when i loosen it but the part that actually holds tire will not
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 8 years ago.

I see your expert is off line, so to lower the spare tire carrier, give the cable some slack, and go under the truck, lift the rubber boot and you will see the secondary latch. To release it, you can push on the center piece to release it. You will understand more when you are looking at the mechanism. Please ask if you need more details.