erik
erik, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase cert 14 years of experence gm certified
11781179

my 2005 chevy malibu maxx wont start. I tried to remote start

Customer Question

my 2005 chevy malibu maxx won't start. I tried to remote start it and it just kept clicking for about a minute. The clock keeps resetting to 12:00 pm every time I try to turn the ignition past the on position to start the car. I tried jumping the car and that didn't work.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  erik replied 6 years ago.
welcome,first have the battery tested,sounds like a bad battery.if the battery has a bad cell then the radio will loose memory and the display will do weired things and even a completely drained battery wont take a jump.also check your battery grounds 1 is located on the radiator support and the other one is on the transmission housing near the upper radiator hose.check to see if its good and tight with no corrosion
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
umm... so the headlights work, the dash lights work, the other gauges work, the radio plays.... it justs loses memory during the ignition attempt... it can't be completely drained. I'll have to check on the connections later at some point. I had to leave my car somewhere and have someone bring me home. It was too dark to see much where I was.
Expert:  erik replied 6 years ago.
the lights would work but a battery that has no cranking amps would not start a car.a true load test like a battery tester or trying to start a car is how you can determine if a battery is good or not.so when your radio resets to 12:00 that tells me that the battery is using what cranking amps it has to turn over the vehicle to the point of completely draining the battery and resetting the clock to 12:00 or the main battery grounds that i mentioned are corroded or loose testing the battery is a good place to start
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I talked to guys at work and they said it sounded like the starter - they said there is probably a dead spot in the starter - so I dinked it lightly with a hammer to get it out of the dead spot and it wouldn't start for a little while, I was praying and asking God to help me out... finally one more try and it started when I wasn't dinking it, but after I had dinked it multiple times. Praise the Lord I have a working car. I drove to church and turned it off. 1.5 hours later I came out and it started on the first try and drove it home. I haven't touched it since. I'm going to take the starter out tonight and take it over to Auto Zone and see what they think.
Expert:  erik replied 6 years ago.
well thats good news let me know what you find im glad your back on the road