Wrenchtech
Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner
7136321

2001 pontiac: gt..dealers.. turn key on and off 3 times..15 minutes

how to disarm passlock system on my 2001 pontiac gran am gt? have tried resetting with dealers advice of " turn key on and off 3 times then leave key on for 15 minutes and repeat 3 times. then tried the same for one cycle of 3 turns on and off then 15 minute wait. no cure. engine fires up for 1second then dies. problem started after i removed ground battery cable. bcm is dry and no corrosion. car ran peerfectly until i disconnected ground battery cable..engine is 3.1 v/6
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 6 years ago.
The Passlock cannot be completely disarmed. It is integrated into the operating software and the car cannot run without it.

I'm going to give you the relearn procedure and a way to bypass the lock sensor in the ignition switch since it's the most common failure. There is no guarantee that the sensor is your problem and if in fact this doesn't work, it will require the use of a Tech 2 scan tool to diagnose the failure.

Go buy a 2.2k (2200 ohm) ohm resistor at an electronics store. Go to radio shack and just get one as close to that as you can. Remove the covers on the steering column and locate three small wires at the lock cylinder. Cut the yellow wire and the orange/black wire or on some vehicles, it’s the yellow and black wires. Solder the resistor between those wires. Tape it up and put the covers back on and follow this relearn procedure. If this doesn't work you have a wiring problem in the steering column.

30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure
  1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes ( the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important

The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

1. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  2. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if desired (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i have done a code scan no trouble codes indicated...

No, your code reader isn't going to help you here. I told you, this requires a Tech 2 scan tool.

That is a specific tool worth over $5,000

Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner