Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

2002 4x4 silverado cant get front driveshaft u joints off,no

Customer Question

2002 4x4 silverado cant get front driveshaft u joints off,no clips?????.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, if you are only trying to remove the front drive shaft from the truck, the information you need is posted below. They are a lot different than the old style. If you are trying to do something else, drop me a note. Thanks

Front Propeller Shaft Replacement

Tools Required

J 43218 Clamp Pliers - Narrow Jaw

Removal Procedure

Important: Before disassembly, observe and accurately reference mark all driveline components relative to the propeller shaft and axles. These items include the following components:

The propeller shafts
The wheel drive shafts
The pinion flanges
The output shafts
Assemble all components in the exact relationship to each other as they were prior to removal. Observe all published specifications and torque values, and any measurements obtained prior to disassembly.

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Remove the transfer case shield, if equipped. Refer to the appropriate procedure:
    Object Number: 363784  Size: SH

3. Remove the rear propeller shaft boot clamp (4) by prying up the exposed end of the clamp with a flat-bladed tool.
  4. Reference mark the relationship of the propeller shaft to the front axle pinon yoke.
    Object Number: 914933  Size: SH

5. Remove the bolts (6) and the yoke retainers (7) from the front axle pinion yoke (1).

Notice: When removing the propeller shaft, do not attempt to remove the shaft by pounding on the yoke ears or using a tool between the yoke and the universal joint. If the propeller shaft is removed by using such means, the injection joints may fracture and lead to premature failure of the joint.

Important: Do not drop the bearing cap assemblies of the yoke end.

6. Disconnect the propeller shaft (2) from the front axle pinion yoke (1).

Wrap the bearing caps with tape in order to prevent the loss of bearing rollers.

7. Disconnect the boot from the groove on the OD of the transfer case output shaft.
  8. Remove the propeller shaft from the transfer case output shaft by sliding the propeller shaft forward.

Installation Procedure

1. Inspect the splines of the transfer case output shaft for a sufficient coating of lubricant. If the output shaft does not have a sufficient coating of lubricant, lubricate the shaft with grease, GM P/N 12345879 (Canadian P/N 10953511) or equivalent lubricant meeting GM Specification(NNN) NNN-NNNN
  2. Install a new clamp onto the propeller shaft boot.
  3. Install the propeller shaft splines into the transfer case output shaft.
    Object Number: 914933  Size: SH

4. Install the propeller shaft (5) to the front axle pinion yoke (1).

Align the reference marks made during removal.

5. Install the yoke retainers (7) and the bolts (6).

Tighten
    Tighten the yoke retainer bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

6. Install the boot onto the transfer case output shaft until the boot snaps into the groove on the output shaft.
    Object Number: 319738  Size: SH
  7. Crimp the rear propeller shaft boot clamp using the J 43218 until the dimensions shown are obtained.
  8. Install the transfer case shield, if equipped. Refer to the appropriate procedure:
  9. Lower the vehicle.